Dad was a little miffed BUT

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
I had a girl show up to practice with a new composite bat. We were using a hitting stick and I would not let her use it on the hitting stick.

I got a call from Dad that night who was kind of bent about Spend ing 300+ on a bat and me not letting her use it in practice. I then told him that I believe that the hitting stick could likely damage the bat.

I told him that we have a barrel of junk bats to use on these. Am I right?

May 21, 2010
Davenport, IA
I would say you made the right choice. Your (her) best bet is to use live pitching or T work with actual game balls to "break in" or season the bat. The hitting stick, although designed well, will likely focus the impact on a smaller spot on the bat with more impact force (maybe more than you would want). Hope this helps.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yes and No.

I understand why you would like to protect their equipment but if they do not care why should you.

Say your piece, discussion is over.

Let them do what they want.

With that said it sounds like there was a communication breakdown. You explained to player why they should not use the bat, player explains to parent. Parent calls you “miffed”. I would guess something got lost in the original message or you did not explained the why very well.

Something went south here.

Jul 28, 2008
I understand what you're saying, but I've never seen one break using a hitting stick. Just my personal experience.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
What was his reaction when you told him why? Did he understand, or disagree? If he disagrees, all you can do is let them do what they want to do. It's his money. You at least warned them about your concern.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No. A Hitting Stick is not going to damage a composite bat. The bat needs broken in. What better way than to use it at practice?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1