Cure for bug squish?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
bond%20leg_zps929iritk.gif

More too it than what I'm suggesting....I asked my DD to try and get the feeling of IR pressure on her inner rear leg/thigh as she loads.

Oct 29, 2015
Never seen this drill done but like the concept of it will definitely use it. Have you ever used a small ramp to help some of your hitters get off their backside and not squish the bug? See more best softball bats for 2016 season.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2015
First post to DFP. This squish the bug thing has always bothered me. In my opinion, you do squish the bug. It is how you present this concept to the hitter. If you simply tell them that squish the bug means to turn your foot, that is a problem. The hitter has to understand that the power and turn of the hips is what allows the foot to turn and squish the bug. Squish the bug to me has always been a reminder to allow the foot to turn with the hips so power of the hips is not locked by the by a rear foot that doesn’t rotate.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
First post to DFP. This squish the bug thing has always bothered me. In my opinion, you do squish the bug. It is how you present this concept to the hitter. If you simply tell them that squish the bug means to turn your foot, that is a problem. The hitter has to understand that the power and turn of the hips is what allows the foot to turn and squish the bug. Squish the bug to me has always been a reminder to allow the foot to turn with the hips so power of the hips is not locked by the by a rear foot that doesn’t rotate.

HarperGIF_zpsaae65b9c.gif

LongoGIF_zps75078677.gif

JDGIF_zps279e421f.gif

Squish the bug(I don't use it) but, it must be used correctly.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
are you turning the rear leg first or the hips first?

Back up for a moment.

Your question suggests that you see the rear leg being turned.

The question to you is ... do you see the entire rear leg being turned as a unit such that the upper rear leg and lower rear leg turn together? Do you see the lower rear leg turn before the upper rear leg? Do you see the upper rear leg turn before the lower rear leg? I see the later. What do you see?

May 24, 2013
So Cal

The problem with many cues is not the words, but the action that is connected to them. The action connected to "squish the bug" - as it is taught to young hitters by most coaches - is terrible and not part of a good swing. I see it as a spinning of the rear leg, with weight remaining on the ball of the foot. This movement by the back leg is not part of a good swing.

This is not "squish the bug"...
Trout_side.gif

Also...WELCOME TO DFP! :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild