Cues and myths

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
We have a new (young) AC who is an excellent addition to the team, but she is a bit headstrong and is telling the players to do all sorts of stuff that isn't correct.

One of the things is gripping the bat- her natural grip hooked the index finger like Crystl Bustos teaches- her coaches "corrected" that to grip the bat with ALL fingers.

She's telling them to be fully extended at contact- again her natural swing was correct, but she was told it was a "baseball swing" and corrected it. She said the result was a change from pop ups to line drives, so it worked for her and she believes it is true.

More issues- line up the knocking knuckles, stay balanced through the whole swing(encourages spinning), keep your weight on the back foot.

I need to bring her up to speed but it could be tricky where the HC is the one who provided the incorrect coaching when she was younger.

Looking for advice on how best to address
Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2012
Have the players swing normally in BP and games. Most coaches don't use video. Present her with pictures of Bustos and others at contact. As much as I think pictures are useless for analysis, people often see what they want to in video. Blur allows people to see things like "extension at contact."

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
We have a new (young) AC who is an excellent addition to the team, but she is a bit headstrong and is telling the players to do all sorts of stuff that isn't correct.

One of the things is gripping the bat- her natural grip hooked the index finger like Crystl Bustos teaches- her coaches "corrected" that to grip the bat with ALL fingers.

She's telling them to be fully extended at contact- again her natural swing was correct, but she was told it was a "baseball swing" and corrected it. She said the result was a change from pop ups to line drives, so it worked for her and she believes it is true.

More issues- line up the knocking knuckles, stay balanced through the whole swing(encourages spinning), keep your weight on the back foot.

I need to bring her up to speed but it could be tricky where the HC is the one who provided the incorrect coaching when she was younger.

Looking for advice on how best to address
Thanks

Are you the head coach?

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
No, I'm the AC, but I've been doing the majority of the instruction (including teaching him that some of his lifelong assumptions are not quite correct. I'm a detail guy and he's more of a big picture guy. it was the two of us for awhile and we added the 3rd.

she is excellent at keeping them focused, but lately I'm hearing some instruction/advice that is contrary to what I've been teaching them. Example: Bunting: I've encouraged them to grab the bat "by the throat" and hit the ball with the end of the bat as you see in MLB. She has been telling them not to do it but to use that LL pinch grip with thumb and forefinger "because if you grab the bat (by the throat) and you're facing a really fast pitcher and hits your fingers, she will break them." wI haven't seen that but I have seen thumbs get bent back and good bunters become reluctant to bunt.

Something else she has been saying is "you shouldn't need a mask if you know how to field your position correctly" in fact, she told me that a pitchers glove should be coming up to field the ball at the end of her delivery.

To Summarize: standing in front of a batted ball coming at you you can get your glove on it but you cant get your hand out of the way of a pitched ball?

i'm getting carried away now...

pstein-
the picture thing is something I was going to try. I have already saved a dozen or so photos on my iPad to show another coach (who pitched DI) who insisted that the weight should NOT come off the back foot at contact. most of those show contact or just after.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06