Crowhopping, Barnhill, and Confessions of an Umpire

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2013
Not even close. All they would do is call an IP every pitch. No fastpitch pitchers are going to jail or a threat of indictment because their pivot foot is coming off the ground 2 inches. Let's put this "crime" into perspective for a minute....

as a matter of principle, it doesn't matter whether it's MLB or NCAA. it's the same principle that's being violated. and you don't need no congressional hearings to make it worth while.

i sometimes really wonder why you are so promoting of changing the rules to fit those who don't follow them.
do you know someone, a pitcher of course, that crow hops? just curious.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
as a matter of principle, it doesn't matter whether it's MLB or NCAA. it's the same principle that's being violated.

You really don't see the difference between PED use and and some pitcher's foot losing contact with the ground? Sometimes I feel like you guys would be happy making pitchers wear a scarlet "IP" on their uniforms...

Sep 10, 2013
You really don't see the difference between PED use and and some pitcher's foot losing contact with the ground? Sometimes I feel like you guys would be happy making pitchers wear a scarlet "IP" on their uniforms...

oh, i do see the differences between PED use and an IP and i also see the similarities. do you?

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2013
let's take a hypothetical scenario.

tomorrow, the NCAA declares leaping, crowhopping and does away with the pitching lane.
you can leap and bounce like the green guy HULK, all that is now legal
AND
make those who drag illegal.

how about that? not a very nice scenario.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
as a matter of principle, it doesn't matter whether it's MLB or NCAA. it's the same principle that's being violated. and you don't need no congressional hearings to make it worth while.

i sometimes really wonder why you are so promoting of changing the rules to fit those who don't follow them.
do you know someone that crow hops? just curious.

Honestly, I hate the cheating, but I would like to see the rule changed for a few reasons:

1. I hate seeing low level pitchers called for minor infractions that have almost no impact on her speed, but might temporarily wreck her accuracy
2. I am tired of seeing experienced coaches work over umps to get a timely IP call
3. I'm sick of seeing the elite break the rules and not be help accountable
4. I don't like the idea of an umpire being able to control the out come of a game by his decision to make or not make this call
5. It is stealing focus from the game
6. It gives the umps one more thing to manage

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Not even close. All they would do is call an IP every pitch. No fastpitch pitchers are going to jail or a threat of indictment because their pivot foot is coming off the ground 2 inches. Let's put this "crime" into perspective for a minute....

Let's hope that like most IP's this is just ignorance or being sloppy and not a deliberate attempt to distort history to advance ones cause. Lets put this issue into perspective. The "crime" with respect to the MLB cheating scandal was lying under oath, and other criminal activities, not the actual cheating itself. The actions of Barhill and others is willful and wanton cheating. Their actions are not criminal and you are the only one that has made that connection. Although they cannot be prosecuted criminally, their actions certainly do not warrant praise or accolades.

The post and analogy by [MENTION=9657]FastPitchCat[/MENTION] illustrates that at any level, from the MLB to NCAA Softball to T-Ball a cheat is a cheat. Other posts have shown the lengths to which enablers will go to defend these cheats.

Once again this is not about "coming off the ground 2 inches". It is about willful and wanton cheating. How anyone can defend, rationalize, and support those that do is beyond me.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Honestly, I hate the cheating, but I would like to see the rule changed for a few reasons:

1. I hate seeing low level pitchers called for minor infractions that have almost no impact on her speed, but might temporarily wreck her accuracy
That's the point of the rule/ to level the playing field by making all pitchers adhere to said rules. If it makes her lose focus on her location, then there is an OBVIOUS ADVANTAGE, no?
2. I am tired of seeing experienced coaches work over umps to get a timely IP call
Then get a team with a coach that is experienced and that doesnt have a leaping or crowhopping pitcher, then it wont effect you.
3. I'm sick of seeing the elite break the rules and not be help accountable
Agreed
4. I don't like the idea of an umpire being able to control the out come of a game by his decision to make or not make this call
Agreed but the solution is to have umps call it ALL THE TIME, IN EVERY GAME, not dependent on which team is on the field
5. It is stealing focus from the game
Maybe but who is really watching the game? Do you watch the womens NCAA Lacrosse Championships?
6. It gives the umps one more thing to manage
THAT IS THEIR JOB! Its what they are PAID to do.

Replies in bold.

My point on the lacrosse is do people that casually watch really know what the pitcher is supposed to do? No. But when the commentators rave about the pitcher and her illegal mechanics, it really doesn't promote the game.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Replies in bold.

My point on the lacrosse is do people that casually watch really know what the pitcher is supposed to do? No. But when the commentators rave about the pitcher and her illegal mechanics, it really doesn't promote the game.

Obviously, we have different opinions. To me, these particular rules just waste so much time and energy in the form of complaining, arguing, misinterpreting, subjectiveness, stress, etc. I don't understand their intent, and I don't value their need in the game.

Aside from the ethics of it all, what value do you place on these particular rules? Do you have apprehension over where opening the rules will take the game? Will it become so pitcher dominant that hitting compromises would have to follow?

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I saw Barnhills first start as a Freshman and she was very close to legal. Now embolden by the lack of enforcement her behavior is beyond the pale. She is illegal on every pitch almost daring an umpire to make a call.

I'd really love to see a side-by-side video comparison,
to really prove this point.

Jun 18, 2010
It didn't take the MLB long to recognize this wasn't good for their game:

carter_capps2_zpsywigrdqd.gif

On Thursday, MLB and the Major League Baseball Players Association announced seven rule changes that will go into effect for the 2017 season. Here’s one of those changes ...

An addition to Rule 5.07 formalizes an umpire interpretation by stipulating that a pitcher may not take a second step toward home plate with either foot or otherwise reset his pivot foot in his delivery of the pitch. If there is at least one runner on base, then such an action will be called as a balk under Rule 6.02(a). If the bases are unoccupied, then it will be considered an illegal pitch under Rule 6.02(b).

While this might strike you as an unnecessary clarification, it’s pretty much in response to the unorthodox delivery of reliever Carter Capps, now of the Padres.