Crowhopping, Barnhill, and Confessions of an Umpire

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Probably the reason the ruling bodies don't enforce the leap and drag rules currently since they know its going to be repealed in a few years anyways once they all get around to changing it. Like it or not, we are in the middle of a transition period and it may take another few years but don't be surprised by the 2020 Olympics, the U.S. rules will allow leaping

I think Marijuana will be legal everywhere in the US soon, therefore the laws against it should not be enforced anywhere. And if we are talking about letting high visibility players off the hook for violating the rules, then what was all the BS spouted in the other thread about Haley Fagan et al getting busted for breaking the rules and "as Athletes getting to play this game at the highest level they need to show responsibility." so its ok for players to cheat while playing this game at the highest level, but god forbid they break any other rules that could besmirch the good name of college softball?

bull.

its a simple question of ethics/morals. you either play by the rules or you are cheating. getting away with cheating does not invalidate the rule. and it is not the majority of pitchers that are skippers. this is one of those softball situations that translates directly to a life lesson.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
As I stated, I think the first step is to re-evaluate the rule(s). If upon further review the rules are found to not be merrited or necessary, once eliminated or replaced, the problem is resolved. The other rules that you bring up are different situations and IMO some do deserve the same reconsideration that I've mentioned about the pitching rules. However I think that adding rule upon rule starts to take away from the game. They add complexity, confusion, anger, jealousy, and lots of other emotions that should be left primarily for game play.

So as you state you treat the symptom and kick the real problem down the road. I still say you have to fix the underlying problem.

Jun 18, 2010
Is there anyone that believes this is NOT a replant?

barnhill_vs_tenn1_feet_zpsauewwg6o.gif

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The enforcement problem is that usually are only two umpires on the field during the regular season. When the playoffs start, and the number of umpires increases, the IPs increase.

My proposal to fix the problem: Allow leaping, but keep the ban on crow hopping (i.e., replanting). Then, tell the umpires to enforce it.

Every SEC team game has a 3 man crew for all home and conference games. I doubt that Barnhill has played a single game with a 2 man crew.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
More than likely the Florida Gators will win the WCWS and Kelly Barnhill will most likely be the NCAA and SEC Pitcher of The Year. If this happens it will be in large part because she intentionally competes outside the rules. I am at a loss how anyone thinks this is good for the game and these actions are somehow worthy of praise. Then when faced with that reality some feel the best course of action is to reward the behavior and change the rules. Kelly Barnhill and others like her who intentionally work outside the rules to obtain a competitive advantage are cheats, and should be shunned not admired. This is no different than using PED's or illegal equipment.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
More than likely the Florida Gators will win the WCWS and Kelly Barnhill will most likely be the NCAA and SEC Pitcher of The Year. If this happens it will be in large part because she intentionally competes outside the rules. I am at a loss how anyone thinks this is good for the game and these actions are somehow worthy of praise. Then when faced with that reality some feel the best course of action is to reward the behavior and change the rules. Kelly Barnhill and others like her who intentionally work outside the rules to obtain a competitive advantage are cheats, and should be shunned not admired. This is no different than using PED's or illegal equipment.

Like it or not, her actions are already being rewarded in the form of W's and accolades. The damage is done.

There is lots of blame to hand out... Barnhill, coaches, PC's, umpires, opposing hitters, people who wish to reconsider the rules, even people who didn't speak up loudly & early enough. I primarily blame the blind-eyed committee members.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I think you bring up some very good questions that should be asked and evaluated. Just maybe it was a bad pitching requirement that has little to no useful value to the game.....difficult for most pitchers to comply on every pitch and close to impossible to enforce, especially when most games at the lower levels have 1 umpire.

Its not too difficult to enforce. The Blue needs to call it when they see it. Are they not trained high level umpires? Im a low life SB dad and can see an illegal replant.

The idea of the rule was to limit what the pitcher can do with her mechanics. It was designed to keep the competition more level between offense and defense. I dont feel its out dated.

Imo its opening a can o worms to eliminate the rule. Just enforce the rule thats there.

Had a co worker call out my boss one day because he was making rules for rules he already had but didn't enforce so he had to make more new rules.... boss wasnt happy being called out but once he enforced the current rules, he didnt need to make new ones.

To me it seems very simple. Enforce the rules for all across each conference, as they are written.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So the issue is that the rule is not being enforced, and the solution is to make a new rule to stop enforcing the original rule. That is truly special.

Sep 10, 2013
Is there anyone that believes this is NOT a replant?

barnhill_vs_tenn1_feet_zpsauewwg6o.gif

that's 3 violations. Leap, Replant and outside the pitching lane. does the batter get 3 balls called? :)
not even 1!

btw, i tweeted adam amin about this - of course, no answer. i sent amanda the same question, no answer.- as expected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi