critical parents and the smack talking

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I'm generally pretty laid back, but I would have gone medieval on him. Harassing 12 YOA children is about as low as a person can get.
Couldn't have been said better. That crap would have lasted about 3 seconds with me. Golden rule at all times and you'll never go wrong

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
Here is an email I sent to my parents after having heard that there was some grumbling about playing time after we had only played 4 league games. Let me know what u think:

Hello all:

It has come to my attention that there is some grumbling over playing time. I am doing my best to get all

the girls playing time. Every girl has played at least 3 out of the 4 games whether it is at the EH spot or

on the field. I am only allowed to bat 11 players making it difficult since we have 14 players. I do keep track
of who plays and who does not. I am figuring out who plays best in what positions and so on. If you have any concerns,

please call me. Thanks and have a great week.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Here is an email I sent to my parents after having heard that there was some grumbling about playing time after we had only played 4 league games. Let me know what u think:

Hello all:

It has come to my attention that there is some grumbling over playing time. I am doing my best to get all

the girls playing time. Every girl has played at least 3 out of the 4 games whether it is at the EH spot or

on the field. I am only allowed to bat 11 players making it difficult since we have 14 players. I do keep track
of who plays and who does not. I am figuring out who plays best in what positions and so on. If you have any concerns,

please call me. Thanks and have a great week.

I have a mixed reaction. It is always good to address issues before they come to a head. But if I remember correctly, you have a 14U team. Are the players grumbling or the parents? At 14U, I would address the players about playing time at the beginning or end of practice. If it's a parent, they need to go through their kid to set up some time to talk.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
I have a mixed reaction. It is always good to address issues before they come to a head. But if I remember correctly, you have a 14U team. Are the players grumbling or the parents? At 14U, I would address the players about playing time at the beginning or end of practice. If it's a parent, they need to go through their kid to set up some time to talk.

1) Parents
2) Why mixed reaction?
as a follow up to my post, one mom and dad emailed me back saying "understood and thanks"

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Mixed reaction only because I think the players need to step forward - parents should be in the background. Good luck!

Apr 2, 2013
I think that is totally unacceptable. My DD's TB Coach would not tolerate it. As parents we are firmly told that any negative comments directed at umpires or players or coaching staff is strictly forbidden. We are not allowed to call out reminders or instructions or anything negative or we are asked to leave. We can only call out general positive encouragement and have to choke down all the things we wish we could say sometimes :). The coach is more than happy for us to approach him privately and discuss any negative concerns. At the end of the day you come home and think 'it's just a game, so glad I didnt make an rear of myself'. I would be having words with the parent and the coach.

Dec 16, 2012
Last weekend, a dad yelled out at a kids' game that an infielder had 'made three errors in one inning, oh what a shame, she's losing us the game.' That's cuz his own daughter was on the bench. And another player repeated the insult to the infielder. And that send the kid home crying. Screamers and yellers, be careful, kids are mimicking you!

That is terrrible. This is justa kids game... I always remind my two daughters that the game of baseball/softball is a game of total frustration where failing 70% of the time (at the plate) is considered doing very well. One thing is fure sure in this game, and that is that you will fail on a daily basis. But, that is why when you do succeed it is so darn sweet.

Jan 4, 2013
If this is coming from another parent in the stands (outside the lines so to speak), then I'm not talking with the coach. I'm taking this bonehead aside and telling him "Don't you EVER talk to my child again, DO YOU HEAR ME? If she needs to be critiqued, let the coaches do it, NOT YOU!" Oh and I'd be sure to have a finger in his face when I do.

My DD has been playing for 10+ years and I haven't seen a "fan" criticize another person's child directly and I'm glad I haven't, I'd have trouble maintaining control.

Oct 7, 2009
Maybe I'm a softie, but when I see a child mess up, my initial reaction is to feel sympathy for the girl and not to yell or scream.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26