Crazy way to lose a game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2013
First time post but I wanted to know the craziest way teams lost a game.

Our 14U tournament championship game a few weekends ago, we were down 2 runs in the 7th inning with 2 outs. A hit, followed up by a double, runner scores from first. Down 3-2. Next girl crushes a triple, runner on second could have walked home. She gets to home plate, runner on third and the coaches from the other team started yelling to tag the girl at home, they do and the umpire called the runner out. Game over.

The poor kid starts crying saying she tagged the plate. I feel bad but I didn't see it. 14 U A we have talked base running gone over base running. I will watch from now on...

I'm still proud of our girls for never giving up. Great comeback...In 41 years of playing, coaching and watching, never seen a team lose that way.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Had a girl hit a grand slam but somehow miss home. When she entered the dugout umpire called her out. She was the winning run.

Youd think he wouldnt even be looking at something like that. Id be heading to the clubhouse as an umpire assuming it was over.

He was technically right IF she didnt touch. With all the excitement none of us were looking at home plate.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Not necessarily a crazy way to lose a game, but still heartbreaking. 10U pool game a few years ago, we are batting top 7, down 2-1, 2 outs, runner on third. WP goes to the backstop, runner from third scores, but batter (who unfortunately is still in the box) gets hit in the back with the throw from the catcher, is called out for interference. Game over. Don't know if we would have held them in the bottom of the 7th, but but a tough way to end a game. A good lesson learned for all of our players about their responsibility to get out of the way on a play at the plate.

Jun 22, 2008
Had a girl hit a grand slam but somehow miss home. When she entered the dugout umpire called her out. She was the winning run.

Youd think he wouldnt even be looking at something like that. Id be heading to the clubhouse as an umpire assuming it was over.

He was technically right IF she didnt touch. With all the excitement none of us were looking at home plate.

If the other team appealed the miss of home plate, yes it was the correct call. If it was not appealed by the other team, then it was not the correct call. Any missed base is assumed to have been touched until properly appealed.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
If the other team appealed the miss of home plate, yes it was the correct call. If it was not appealed by the other team, then it was not the correct call. Any missed base is assumed to have been touched until properly appealed.

I agree. When he made the call the other team was all over it. He gave them the info so to speak. It was pool so I didnt pay to protest but I did have a friendly conversation off the field to make sure people made accurate/fair decisions for the little girls playing the game :)

Oct 10, 2013

In the excitement none of us looked either. Still feel bad for the kid.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
12U rec game. Tying run on third, one out. Pop fly caught. Runner from third running all the way. She reaches and touches home plate as I, the third base coach, am yelling for her to come back. Other teams yelling to throw ball to third. People in stands are yelling. Complete confusion for a newer player, who is still standing on home plate. Outfield throws to pitcher, who holds the ball. Pitcher realizes, sort of, what's going on. She throws home, to where my player is still standing. But she overthrows Catcher to back-stop. Catcher picks up the ball and tags out runner, who never moved from home plate. Double play. Game over. And, in case you're wondering, I had repeatedly told runner on third not to run if the ball is in the air. But, she was a new player. She felt awful, but I consoled her and said it's just a game and we will win the next one.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
Wasn't one of our games, but saw this in a tournament..

Runners on 2nd and 3rd, batting team down by 1, two outs.

Girl lines a base hit to RF.

As BR is rounding 1st, she starts looking like she's heading to 2nd, 1b coach grabs her arm and stops her.

Umpire calls BR out (coach interference?) before the winning run coming from 2b crosses the plate. Run doesn't count, all hell breaks loose with parents and coaches going nuts. LOL

Best line came from the coach that grabbed the girl.. "Ok, I know that's the rule Blue...but I can't believe you actually called me on it"

Mar 28, 2011
SW Ohio

I agree. When he made the call the other team was all over it. He gave them the info so to speak. It was pool so I didnt pay to protest but I did have a friendly conversation off the field to make sure people made accurate/fair decisions for the little girls playing the game :)

Had this been protested, how should it have been handled?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bake12