Crazy finish

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
]quote]
i am a mshsaa softball umpire. i am embarassed by that call in the portageville v pleasant hope game. biggest bs call i have ever seen. never talk bad about fellow umps is a cardinal rule for us, but somethings are so egregious that something must be said. this is the bottom line the first base ump who made the call, it wasn't his call to make. why? becasue they did not rotate. the home plate ump stayed so it was his call. the appeal should go to him not 1st. second bottom line, even if she missed the plate there was no advantaged gained in missing the plate so it is a non call.
1st base ump Huether made himself the most important part of that game instead of letting the girls who played be the important. he should be ashamed of himself and mshsaa shoul be sure not to ever use him again in any role past regular season. [/quote]

This guy is a pretender. This has nothing to do with the umpire putting himself above the game or making himself part of the game.

It has to do with the umpire making the call for which he is being paid to make when it was properly appealed. You don't like the call, teach the runner to touch all the bases as directed by the rules

Jun 22, 2008
You will love his next post after I commented rules say nothing about gaining an advantage.

See that is the difference between a guy who knows a rule book and a guy who knows how to call a game. If you are willing to take away a game from high school kids based on the idea that rules require no discretion in application and merely require blind application without understand the spirit of the rules then you will never be able to get the game right. I have spoken to several high level umps and they agree with me that you simply van not make a call like that when the runner gained no advantage. Rules exist for one reason to ensure that no team or player gains an unfair advantage. When no advantage is gained then discretion exists. Until you realize that your game will never be complete.

I may be dense, but is not allowing a team to miss a base and ignoring the appeal giving that team an advantage?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2013
Middle Georgia
Umpire stay out if it.

The people in the"umpires should not make themselves a part of the game"camp never remember that many times NOT making a call affects a game just as much as making a call will.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
You will love his next post after I commented rules say nothing about gaining an advantage.

I may be dense, but is not allowing a team to miss a base and ignoring the appeal giving that team an advantage?

What he is saying is that he lacks the integrity to call something he saw because it is going to be unpopular and then justifies it by saying he is using 'discretion' rather than admitting he is too frightened to do his job or that he is is willing to lie to make his life easier.

This isn't a judgement call or a game flow/understanding the game call - she either touched the base or she didn't - and if she didn't you can't 'unsee it'. The only way this call is bad is if the umpire didn't actually see her not touch the base and for some reason just guessed she didn't touch the base - then he just put himself in a bad situation for no reason.

Jun 22, 2008
1996 Olympic games, Australia and US. Lisa Fernandez pitching a perfect game and Dani Tyler hitting a 2 run home run, except she missed the plate. Called out on appeal, Lisa Fernandez hangs a pitch over the plate and Australia hits a 2 run homer to win the game 2-1.

Shame on that umpire for doing his job and taking the game out of the girls hands.

Mar 21, 2013
Rules semantics aside my question is how in the heck could that umpire, from the position he was in and the traffic around the plate, see whether or not the runner touched any part of the plate with any part of her foot?

Sep 29, 2014
Gotta assume the first base umpire was 100% sure the base was not touched in which case there really is not any other call to make.

but you have to be 100% sure!!

FYI...Pleasant Hope loses 16-3 to Fatima in state finals

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Gotta assume the first base umpire was 100% sure the base was not touched in which case there really is not any other call to make.

but you have to be 100% sure!!

FYI...Pleasant Hope loses 16-3 to Fatima in state finals

Absolutely. Any decent umpire, at least those with integrity :) , will tell you that this is not a call that one would guess, but be 100% sure even before considering making it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01