Covid and team fees

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Without revealing the answer to that ...

If you find yourself in this situation, here are a few things to do ... and some of these may not be bad things to do when looking at switching to a new team!

You can check the business section of most states’ Secretary of State website to verify the team/organization is actually (a) a registered business and/or (b) a registered non-profit. Just opening a bank account with a DBA on it does NOT make you a legitimate business (although this may vary by your states’ laws).

If they are registered, you can contact your states’ office of the Attorney General. They will have a “business enforcement” division that can answer questions on state specific laws.

Jul 31, 2015
That’s what I was thinking too, they are under the impression that since we are “non-profit” that they cannot refund us.

If they are a non-profit i.e. a 501(c)(3) organization, they are required to make their financials available to anyone who asks. So ask.
Hopefully that request will trigger an informed discussion about returning paid-in fees.

If they refuse to show you the books, but still claim non-profit status, then think about finding a local attorney who can write them a letter reminding them of their obligations.

If they are not a non-profit, or if they’ve let their non-profit status lapse, you are probably out of luck.

Good luck!

Apr 17, 2019
If they are a non-profit i.e. a 501(c)(3) organization, they are required to make their financials available to anyone who asks. So ask.
Hopefully that request will trigger an informed discussion about returning paid-in fees.

If they refuse to show you the books, but still claim non-profit status, then think about finding a local attorney who can write them a letter reminding them of their obligations.

If they are not a non-profit, or if they’ve let their non-profit status lapse, you are probably out of luck.

Good luck!

They are a non profit in good standing I checked last night. I had a conversation with the director of the organization, basically he said they could give out refunds but doesn’t want to get into writing checks out. He is supposed to be getting me financials, once I see how much is actually there I’ll decide to pursue it farther or not.

Sounds like the coaches got butt hurt because half the team left tbh.

May 29, 2015
I could do the right thing and give you your money back ... but I really like your money and think I deserve it.

I don’t think anybody blames their coach or organization because games can’t be played ... so why would you (as a coach or org) put yourself in the position of being the arse?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom