Counts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2011
What are your thoughts on the best count to do the following?

1) straight steal from first or second
2) delayed steal
3) hit and run

Thanks for your input.

Jul 14, 2010
Good topic. I'll be interested to see the responses.

My 2 cents:
Depends on the age group and level, opposing pitchers tendencies and habits, and how many outs.

Younger ages (not as many pitches):

1) 0-2 count - expecting change up or waste pitch
2) not sure about this one?
3) 2-2 unless you already have 1 out or more

I like 2-0 for stealing and hit & run. You're not likely to see a pitchout and the opponent is almost always trying to throw a strike here.

My delayed steals ate almost always situational and not as dependent on count so I can't really say if I tend to do it more on any specific count.

Nov 29, 2009
What are your thoughts on the best count to do the following?

1) straight steal from first or second
2) delayed steal
3) hit and run

Thanks for your input.

At the 14U level and up it's more dependent on the catcher's throwing ability and the speed of your runner. Sometimes at that level you need to do the unexpected to succeed.

The only time I use a TRUE delay steal is late in a game when I need a run or a base runner is scoring position. Otherwise all you do is wake the opposing pitcher and catcher up. Let them keep napping all game long and then use it when you REALLY need it. I have found there are very few kid who really understand how to delay steal and the timing of it.

I'll hit and run on any count. Again, it depends on your hitter. IF she has good enough bat control to hit to the right side or put the ball on the ground I'll do it. If the hitter is spotty I'm not so inclined to use it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1