Congratulations to Stephanie Youngman, all conference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Got some more good news today. One of my former players, Stephanie Youngman, was named to the all conference team for her play at College of Lake County, our local junior college.

The cool thing about this is Steph is one of those players whose high school coach never seemed to think much of her. She was overlooked her first couple of years, then made varsity as a junior. But she always seemed to struggle to perform, and to get playing time. That lasted throughout her varsity career. In her final game as a senior, at Regionals, the coach suddenly decided to sit her out in favor of a freshman. Not exactly the time to be experimenting.

For us, Steph always played well. After starting slow her first couple of years she found her rhythm hitting, and ultimately became one of our leading hitters. She was also an excellent fielder, particularly in the outfield. She could play extra shallow to cut off the Texas Leaguers because she was so good at going back on a ball.

I share her story for two reasons. One, obviously, is that I am happy for her that she finally has received the recognition she so richly deserves. The other is an inspiration to other players. This is the time of year when many players seem to be feeling a lack of love from their high school coaches. (Their feelings about their travel coaches come later.)

So I want to show that no matter what, it's only one person's opinion. Keep playing and perhaps someday you too will be all conference in college.

More...

Nov 24, 2009
Chicagoland
Ken,
Very timely story, I'm dealing with a similar situation with one of my players and her playing time in HS. She is talking of giving up softball. I'm going to share your story with her and hopefully encourage her to stick with it.

-Tom

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Tom, I hope it helps. It takes a strong individual to deal with that sort of treatment and still come out of it with her love of the game intact. But Steph always was a competitor, and perhaps she just viewed it as one more competition to win. I've been told her ulitmate goal is to get her degree and then replace her old head coach. I wouldn't bet against her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12