Common issues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2018
There seem to be a lot of common issues that pop up again and again and again.

Maybe there should be a sticky. Some of you may be old enough to remember FAQs. Do we need one?

Here are a few:

Q1. Daddyball (or mommyball) issues.

A. Start looking for a new team. If the situation is bearable, suck it up for the rest of the season, then leave. If not bearable, and if your DD leaving wouldn't completely disrupt the team, maybe leave earlier if there is a good Plan B.

Q2. HS ball issues:

A. If bearable, suck it up for the rest of the season then decide if your DD should play HS ball next year.
If NOT bearable, quit. Realize there is no Plan B.

Q3. What sort of bat should my DD use?

A. Coresoftball20 has the answer.

LOL, I know I'm the latest to post about Daddy Ball. I knew many would understand my frustrations from reading previous posts about the same issue. My rant was for my own mental health. I needed an outlet and this was a safe place to do it.

I appreciated the feedback from all, both positive and not so positive.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I complain on board a fair amount, like getting it off. Example...

DD is going to play OF on new Team when she plays, her fault being able to play OF.

You are right for complaining but I like seeing I am not on my own.

Most definitely not. My DD is a pretty good infielder, but is cursed with the skills necessary to be a competent outfielder. :p Unfortunately, those we've lost this season due to injury and other things were outfielders. Some of those remaining do alright in the infield, but would be a clownshow in the OF. I tell DD to look at it in terms of job security. She doesn't sit very often, but when she does, bad things often happen out there.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The JJSqueeze Rule should be stickied....

If you are thinking about changing teams enough to post about it, then change teams to find out if the crazy comes with you (and you are probably the problem) or stays behind (it was probably them).

Also:

If you post about something looking for justification for a decision you have already made or just general agreement on your point of view and how right you are then this might not be the right forum for you.

As my DD says - If you don't want to know, then don't ask!

Nov 3, 2012
My younger brother is a professor at Oregon State, and at one point his most famous lecture was why the curve ball curves. For a while, physicists were insisting a curve ball could NOT curve; that it was an optical illusion. This is despite tracking experiments being done about curve balls. My DD 3 throws a pretty good curve ball, so I got into an interesting discussion with him about curve balls. It went over my head (the discussion, not the ball). Something about creating two different domains in fluid mechanics.

So does the rise ball rise? It depends on whether one can create the two different domains in fluid mechanics sufficient for a rise ball to rise. It has zero to do with Newtonian Physics. I honestly forgot to ask my brother about the rise ball. I will try to remember at some point in my life, so I will have the answer.

I think the Magnus Effect has something to do with Netwonian Physics.

Jun 8, 2016
My younger brother is a professor at Oregon State, and at one point his most famous lecture was why the curve ball curves. For a while, physicists were insisting a curve ball could NOT curve; that it was an optical illusion. This is despite tracking experiments being done about curve balls. My DD 3 throws a pretty good curve ball, so I got into an interesting discussion with him about curve balls. It went over my head (the discussion, not the ball). Something about creating two different domains in fluid mechanics.

So does the rise ball rise? It depends on whether one can create the two different domains in fluid mechanics sufficient for a rise ball to rise. It has zero to do with Newtonian Physics. I honestly forgot to ask my brother about the rise ball. I will try to remember at some point in my life, so I will have the answer.

I won't get into the details but the spinning of the ball (and the fact that at the microscopic level the ball is "rough" in additional to having seams) causes a pressure differential which causes the ball to move towards the side with lower pressure. In order for a riseball to actually rise this pressure differential would have to be such that the force caused by it would be larger than the gravitational force for the entirety of the flight of the ball. The balance, or lack thereof for a descent or ascent, of those two forces is how an airplane flys.

Luckily for hitters the outcome of a thrown ball is governed by Newtonian physics and not quantum physics where one can only predict the probability of an objects position and velocity. If hitting took place in a quantum world the hitting forums would be a mess..

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2010
Most definitely not. My DD is a pretty good infielder, but is cursed with the skills necessary to be a competent outfielder. :p Unfortunately, those we've lost this season due to injury and other things were outfielders. Some of those remaining do alright in the infield, but would be a clownshow in the OF. I tell DD to look at it in terms of job security. She doesn't sit very often, but when she does, bad things often happen out there.

This is silly. Curse? Colleges recruit outfielders too. Mine will be playing college OF next year.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
This is silly. Curse? Colleges recruit outfielders too. Mine will be playing college OF next year.

Because i can relate to this, i can tell you that was meant in jest.

When your DD is the best SS on the team but shes in the OF because shes also the best OF on the team- the coaches know that mistakes in the IF arent as costly as mistakes in the OF so they can get by with a mediocre player in the IF if it means having a strong OF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi