Comments on my 10yo DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 22, 2009
The video is kind of long, but it is of my DDs recent pitching lesson.

She has been taking lessons for about 9 months. I feel she has come a long ways out of the starting blocks, but would like some uninterested input. I know we need to work on keeping her foot in contact with the ground. I realize her mechanics wont be as refined as a 16yo, but am wondering if we should continue focusing on pitching or start spending more time in the batting cage.

YouTube - Pitching lesson

This is the first time Ive edited a video and first time posting to youtube. I hope it works.

Thanks for your input.

Jul 14, 2008
9 Months?.........You need to find another pitching coach..........FAST.......

The video is kind of long, but it is of my DDs recent pitching lesson.

She has been taking lessons for about 9 months. I feel she has come a long ways out of the starting blocks, but would like some uninterested input. I know we need to work on keeping her foot in contact with the ground. I realize her mechanics wont be as refined as a 16yo, but am wondering if we should continue focusing on pitching or start spending more time in the batting cage.

YouTube - Pitching lesson

This is the first time Ive edited a video and first time posting to youtube. I hope it works.

Thanks for your input.

Jun 6, 2009
I agree with BM. There doesn't appear to be any audio so I can't hear what, if any, advice the coach had to say. I will say I don't think if I was teaching her I could sit there and watch that pitch after pitch. You say 9 mos. ? I do wonder if your DD had been practicing with any regularity. If she has then the instructor should be shot.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
When a young one first starts out, you have to develop some consistancy for them to build on.

I see NO consistancy in any part of her pitch from one pitch to the next.

She is not pitching from a good location at all. In fact, I believe she is having to stride up to a little higher ground level when she touches down, that certainly does not help.

Find a level place for her to pitch from and get a pitching mat with a rubber attached to it.

Send me an e-mail and ask for a copy of 'Coach Hal's Foundation Method'. We can get her consistant quickly.

Oct 18, 2009
warm ups

does she do any warm ups before she starts that motion? wrist snaps? arm circles? walk ups?

How did her instructor teach her? Did she just show her the entire motion or did she break it down into different portions?

She's still young but it looks like she could have ability if properly taught.

She also looks like she is having fun.

I see alot of issues here! Feet are terrible! I would start with the feet. Straight push foot with a heel up drag. She also needs to hit the brakes and not walk through her pitch. When she does this right let her throw a ball. Her follow through is not healthy either. Tell her fist to face. I dont like to force a follow through but she is going away from her face. I only watched half the video but I saw the same problems over and over! What is the coach doing besides sitting there! Do something different, take the ball away, address the issues, uggh! Find somebody else! Where are you, maybe one of us on here can help you find somebody decent in your area. Good Luck!

Sep 11, 2009
Mesa Arizona
First thing I see is she is more focused on getting her hair out of her face. Before pitch and after release. She needs to be focusing on mechanics during a pitcing lesson. Put her hair up and she will focus more. Also her arms are all over the place, I haven't seen 2 pitches in a row that looked the same. After a while of pitching I see her stepping off her power line, left and right. I agree with board member, get a new coach. She is looking at where the pitch lands instead of working on her mechanics. Sorry about all the negativity

Aug 22, 2009
Thank you all for the constructive comments. The search for a new coach begins today. I have been feeling that I am not getting what I am paying for. I dont really know exactly what I was supposed to be looking for, and when she practices I am busy tracking the ball so I didnt get much of a chance to see from the angle of the recording. I thought she was doing well because she was increasing speed and gaining accuracy, but when I saw that video I truly began to wonder.

Again,
Yhank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes