College softball simulation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
A few months ago, I posted that I'd created a game to simulate college softball that includes top teams and players of the past. It began as a cards-and-dice board game, but in the process of testing it, I put the game on Excel, and all that morphed into a full-fledged Excel game.

If anybody is curious how the game works, check out this video below. Not planning to sell the game, so it's not a sales pitch. Just looking for college softball fans who might find it interesting.

If anyone has a game they'd like me to play, suggest a matchup, and I'll play it. I have about 50 teams. Almost every school that has reached the WCWS since 1997 has their best team included. Schools like UCLA, OU, Arizona and a few others have 2-4 teams.

Haven't created any 2021 teams yet. Waiting for season to conclude. Really pulling for Arkansas because I don't have a Razorbacks team yet. James Madison would be nice, too.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I watched a few minutes of it and might have to come back to watch it again when I have more time. I can see you put a shirt load of work into this. Is this kind of like Stratomatic? My BIL is a total stratomatic nerd. It looks to be pretty detailed. Well done.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I watched a few minutes of it and might have to come back to watch it again when I have more time. I can see you put a shirt load of work into this. Is this kind of like Stratomatic? My BIL is a total stratomatic nerd. It looks to be pretty detailed. Well done.

Thanks! Yes, it's in the Stratomatic genre. Since it's just on Excel, and it's just a hobby, it's not as sophisticated as a Stratomatic computer game, but it's the same concept, and it is pretty detailed. For example, players are rated for their ability to run the bases, lay down bunts, etc.. The goal is to be 'accurate,' meaning I don't want scores to be 15-10. In my original version, scoring and hitting was too low, so I ''re-did'' the hitting numbers on each player to tweak it.

It's been great fun learning about college softball history and the top teams and players over time. I discovered that the NCAA has stats of every team going back to the '90s and also WCWS stats and boxscores online. But most of the stats for teams have been found on the school's websites, and I'm using stats that are more detailed than what the NCAA provides. Some schools have been really helpful to provide stats and info. A couple have ignored me, but I'm going to keep knocking. :)

Two good resources:

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
A few months ago, I posted that I'd created a game to simulate college softball that includes top teams and players of the past. It began as a cards-and-dice board game, but in the process of testing it, I put the game on Excel, and all that morphed into a full-fledged Excel game.

If anybody is curious how the game works, check out this video below. Not planning to sell the game, so it's not a sales pitch. Just looking for college softball fans who might find it interesting.

If anyone has a game they'd like me to play, suggest a matchup, and I'll play it. I have about 50 teams. Almost every school that has reached the WCWS since 1997 has their best team included. Schools like UCLA, OU, Arizona and a few others have 2-4 teams.

Haven't created any 2021 teams yet. Waiting for season to conclude. Really pulling for Arkansas because I don't have a Razorbacks team yet. James Madison would be nice, too.

1. I'm a big Strat-o-matic nerd, so I love this.
2. Corona, CA REPRESENTING at Oklahoma!! Hotbed for softball out here.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
1. I'm a big Strat-o-matic nerd, so I love this.
2. Corona, CA REPRESENTING at Oklahoma!! Hotbed for softball out here.

Yes, no doubt. Glad you noticed that because I didn't know whether people would enjoy that detail. I'm always curious to know where players are from. Also from Corona are Taryne Mowatt, star pitcher for Arizona around 2007; and Kelsey Bruder, who starred on Florida's 2009 team that woulda/coulda/shoulda won it that year.

On a tangent, I lived in Riverside, Calif., for a while right out of college in the mid-80s and was writing for the local paper there as an intern and recall doing a story on girls playing Little League baseball in the county. If not mistaken, the only two girls that I found played out of the Corona league. Always wondered whatever happened to those two.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
Yes, no doubt. Glad you noticed that because I didn't know whether people would enjoy that detail. I'm always curious to know where players are from. Also from Corona are Taryne Mowatt, star pitcher for Arizona around 2007; and Kelsey Bruder, who starred on Florida's 2009 team that woulda/coulda/shoulda won it that year.

On a tangent, I lived in Riverside, Calif., for a while right out of college in the mid-80s and was writing for the local paper there as an intern and recall doing a story on girls playing Little League baseball in the county. If not mistaken, the only two girls that I found played out of the Corona league. Always wondered whatever happened to those two.

Very interesting. I majored in journalism at Cal St. Fullerton and interned at the OC Register and worked sports desk doing high school stuff part-time at LA Times. My DD (now 10, a 2011) started off playing Little League baseball with her twin brother before he lost interest so I put her in softball for 8U.

Good work on the game, btw.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Very interesting. I majored in journalism at Cal St. Fullerton and interned at the OC Register and worked sports desk doing high school stuff part-time at LA Times. My DD (now 10, a 2011) started off playing Little League baseball with her twin brother before he lost interest so I put her in softball for 8U.

Good work on the game, btw.

Cal St. Fullerton? Then you might like this team ...

I created 3-4 teams that didn't actually reach the WCWS. That was meant to accommodate any really good teams (final top-10 ranking) that didn't have a WCWS qualifier since 1997. Another team like that was 2010 Georgia Tech, when Jen Yee hit .550 with 25 homers.

Cal Fullerton.png

Cal State Fullerton players.png

May 7, 2022

how can we play the game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi