College Regional Games

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
My DD and I have been watching the regional softball games all weekend due to a rare weekend off from playing. In particular, we have been paying close attention the the pitching and pitch placements. We have noticed that the rise ball is not near as effective as it has been in the past. Either we haven't had a chance to watch a good rise ball pitcher or the hitters are better trained to recognize it. It seems to me that the two most effective pitches have been the outside corner and the trusty ole' changeup. Has anyone else noticed that?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This isn't a new phenomenon... The new bats and better hitting technique mean balls that used to be popups are now homeruns. Additionally, the hitters are better at the regionals, and the pitchers are analyzed to death by the opposing team.

Ultimately, pitching is about hitting spots and varying speeds. At the lower levels, breaking pitches are great. At high levels of play, batters don't chase bad pitches.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
I didn't get to see as much as I had planned on. We had a tournament this weekend that was a complete bust and wish I could have those days back:(

I will keep my eyes open this weekend for Supers!

Dec 7, 2011
Notice how they finally dropped the old tired analogy that they loved to ram down our throats => "Ya know a 70mph fastball at 43 feet is equivalent to a 973 mph fastball in baseball!!!!!" . (yes I know the math is wrong...)

God I hated how they read that canned line every inning in years back....

Now if somebody can teach the talking-head-dummies what "back-door-curve" really means!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
What bothers me most is that every trip to the circle is for the sole purpose of "settling down the pitcher". Apparently every pitcher is an emotional basket case in constant need of reassurance and validation of her abilities. It is yet another example that the talking heads have no idea what is truly going on in the game.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Teams that reach regionals usually have very disciplined hitters who have been seeing riseballs all season.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Teams that reach regionals usually have very disciplined hitters who have been seeing riseballs all season.

I would say this is true of some of the teams. Many, especially those that got there by winning a conference championship were pretty weak and ended up two and BBQ by Saturday. I certainly saw more hitters chasing riseballs than I do watching SEC conference play. But to your point you will see more of this in the Supers now that the wheat has been separated from the chaff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45