College Camps

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
So it is through these end-arounds that coaches are getting Freshman to verbally commit?

Reading this book gives the impression that the real recruiting / commitments don't come till Junior / Senior year but this does not seem to be reality.

For softball I've never really understood the luster behind such early commitment. How many of us at 13-14 years old knew where we wanted to go to college and more important for softball with no MLB chances..........what career we wanted to devote our college time to?

Guess for some the choice of college could be a real dream? Maybe mom or dad is alumni?

Seems like most who commit that early for big time ball really have back up options. If its like baseball, a high % of early commits come from well to do families. Which means they could easily afford the college straight up. Or have the $$ to continue education after the playing years. Or have family businesses for employment regardless of college skills.

IDK, maybe if Florida asked me to play many years ago I would have early committed in 9th? But I'd probably chosen Florida because of beaches and bikinis over grassy infields and chalk lines. :)

I wouldn't want to stand in the way of any girl's dream, I just would have to look at each situation individually to make sure they FULLY understand and give their choices great consideration beyond the softball program.

Here is a cool list......
GoldFastpitch.com

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
So it is through these end-arounds that coaches are getting Freshman to verbally commit?

Reading this book gives the impression that the real recruiting / commitments don't come till Junior / Senior year but this does not seem to be reality.

Yes.

My DD made her verbal commitment Oct of her jr year. I think that is the norm but the top 25 softball program schools verbal their players much earlier.

Sep 18, 2011
I aslo think it depends a lot on position. Pitchers and catchers tend to verbal much sooner than other poisition players. Just my observation.

We're in "camp mode" right now. DD is a position player and a 2017 grad so it's probably a waste of money. On the other hand I think she will enjoy the experience and supporting college softball programs is never a total waste. Assistant coaches need to eat, too. :)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Not related to the subject, but as a side note, the Acers 18G recently beat this girl's old team:
Ashley Thompson Skills Video - YouTube

Small world....

Didn't want to steal the other thread but here is another example that verbals really dont mean squat. This young lady first verbal was to Alabama- Birmingham, where then she un-committed and committed to University of Washington, then un-committed again and is now going to BYU.

I do like her stats though. :)

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2012
My DD - 13 - wants to attend a college camp where 40+ D1 schools and several other D2, JUCO and NAIA schools are listed to be there. I don't have a problem sending her to the camp because I think it will be a good experience for her and she will get to see the level of some of the older girls that will be there. This will be an off campus event hosted by another organization. They have listed all the colleges that have said they will be there and there are a lot of good D1 schools saying they will be there.

My question is for those that have gone through the process already or been in it for a year or more. Is there a down side to her going and should she attemp to make any contact with coaches while there? I realize that her commitment to college is a ways off but with the competiton being what it is...is it too early? She is a pitcher (not a stand out but in the upper tier), 3rd and outfield. She can also play any other position but catcher.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55