College Camps

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
That's what I was confused about. It was rather apparent that the Tampa kid was invited or at the very least her presence was expected ahead of time. But she's a freshman and a Div 1 coach isn't supposed to make any contact for recruiting purposes until Junior year. Is invitation to camp not considered "recruiting purposes"? According to the book, written contact including e-mail can't take place till 9/1 of the junior year and phone contact can't take place until 7/1 of senior year. Can coach talk to the recruits parents at any time and bypass this because they aren't having contact with the actual player?

The coach can not initiate contact with a player. There are no restrictions on a player contacting a coach. When the player is on the school's campus a coach is allowed to talk to the player. The coach can not offer an official visit to a freshman, but there is nothing stopping the player from visiting on their own. Where most of what you cited from the book comes into effect at off-campus locations.

Here is the link to the NCAA site.

Becoming Eligible - NCAA.org

The time frame for recruiting has been moved up. Many coaches are now looking at freshman players and everyone is looking at 16U players. Used to be junior year in HS years ago until the "Arms" race started with recruiting.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
That's what I was confused about. It was rather apparent that the Tampa kid was invited or at the very least her presence was expected ahead of time.Only thing it can't be, is an invitation ONLY camp. Must be open to all, minus guidelines of age gender etc. If you pre-registered, your DD was "expected" to be there too.

But she's a freshman and a Div 1 coach isn't supposed to make any contact for recruiting purposes until Junior year. For an open camp on college grounds the coaches can talk all they want when they want.

Is invitation to camp not considered "recruiting purposes"? It would be if it was by "invitation only".

According to the book, written contact including e-mail can't take place till 9/1 of the junior year and phone contact can't take place until 7/1 of senior year. Can coach talk to the recruits parents at any time and bypass this because they aren't having contact with the actual player? 3 face to face meetings with parents or guardians per year after 9/1. CC can only talk to the athlete after the completion of competition for the weekend or multi day event. They can speak to the parents/G during, but it counts as one of the 3. ( off campus )

Hope I typed this right, flu kicking my tail big time.

Oct 19, 2009
Sounds like my book is outdated which is disappointing since the NFCA website stated it was up to date when I ordered it.

Oct 14, 2008
Something to consider is that alot of times and people probably have had it happen to them is that the college will use a go between, like her TB coach. Breaking no rules and a little more personal than a form letter to a camp,

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The college coaches get around the direct contact rule by contacting the players TB or HS coach. I have even heard of a pitching or hitting coach being a 'go between'....if you are on campus for a camp, then the coaches are allowed to speak with you.

A major D1 scheduled a 'coaching clinic' in our area so they could come in and see a particular pitcher. The clinic was open to others and while they did do some instruction at the camp, it was apparent to everyone in attendance the underlying motives of the coaching staff. The other players who attended the camp just covered the D1 coaches travel expenses.......

Nov 29, 2009
Sounds like my book is outdated which is disappointing since the NFCA website stated it was up to date when I ordered it.

The book is correct according to the rules. It's the way the coaches are working within the rules that have changed. They have their toes on the line trying to one-up each other for the top recruits.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
The college coaches get around the direct contact rule by contacting the players TB or HS coach. I have even heard of a pitching or hitting coach being a 'go between'....if you are on campus for a camp, then the coaches are allowed to speak with you.

JAD is right.

College, "hey HS coach I really like young Sally, have her call me".

HS, "consider it done".

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
That's what I was confused about. It was rather apparent that the Tampa kid was invited or at the very least her presence was expected ahead of time. But she's a freshman and a Div 1 coach isn't supposed to make any contact for recruiting purposes until Junior year. Is invitation to camp not considered "recruiting purposes"? According to the book, written contact including e-mail can't take place till 9/1 of the junior year and phone contact can't take place until 7/1 of senior year. Can coach talk to the recruits parents at any time and bypass this because they aren't having contact with the actual player?

The college coach can speak to her TB team recruiting or head coach and tell them it would be beneficial for the player to attend their camp. All communication can be done threw her TB coach. When the player is on their campus they can speak with her and her parents.

Oct 19, 2009
So it is through these end-arounds that coaches are getting Freshman to verbally commit?

Reading this book gives the impression that the real recruiting / commitments don't come till Junior / Senior year but this does not seem to be reality.

Oct 24, 2012
LaGrange, Ohio
A major D1 scheduled a 'coaching clinic' in our area so they could come in and see a particular pitcher. The clinic was open to others and while they did do some instruction at the camp, it was apparent to everyone in attendance the underlying motives of the coaching staff. The other players who attended the camp just covered the D1 coaches travel expenses.......

Yes-I've experienced this as well

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse