College and majors to stay away from??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2022
Sometimes there are question answer time at camps. Current players can answer at camp. Asking them what they are majoring in, how they balance things. The hardest thing for us is that my dd had no clue what she wanted to do…still really doesn’t. She’s picked business for now. We’ve done inventories and career counseling and taken a wide variety of classes but nothing really sparks for her yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 8, 2019
Ever notice that when an athlete gets a degree in engineering or nursing. People will come out of the woodwork to say “see it’s doable”. Yes it’s doable. For the rare few who have everything going just right for themselves. Meanwhile a majority are either pushed toward easier majors or quit ball.
I have never seen it especially in the larger D1 schools. And if they are majoring in something like that, they don't get a lot of playing time.

Nov 5, 2014
Sometimes there are question answer time at camps. Current players can answer at camp. Asking them what they are majoring in, how they balance things. The hardest thing for us is that my dd had no clue what she wanted to do…still really doesn’t. She’s picked business for now. We’ve done inventories and career counseling and taken a wide variety of classes but nothing really sparks for her yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm in the exact same boat and my DD is a college sophomore. Hoping something sparks for her soon!

May 27, 2013
So, does the athlete ask the coach directly? Does she need to wait until September 1st of her Junior year? How can she find out before that?

Like angispeds mentioned, talk to current players at camps, ask during the Q&A session - or this is where a good TB coach can talk with the college coach to find out for the player. When I did my recruiting coordinator stint, I made sure to list the major the player was interested in on their profile sheet, and I also asked the coaches during showcases if specific majors were ok. Most coaches asked me what the players’ academic interests were if they were there to watch someone specific.

Jul 1, 2022
Some majors require a huge time commitment, I went to engineering school at a P5 school and sometimes I didn't even have time to go watch the game on football Saturday. Can't imagine playing a NCAA sport along with that. There's probably some academic programs would probably not be feasible.

That being said I don't think there's a problem in "majoring" in college softball and getting a diploma in a less rigorous academic major, as long as the girl graduates. The actual major is less important than the fact that the diploma was earned. Can always go to grad school later to focus on a particular field of study if desired.

Tons of kids go to college, pick an easy major, party too hard, and drop out anyways.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

May 13, 2023
Starting to look for a college for our daughter. Is there any majors that she should think twice about and playing softball? My wife is an RN and played volleyball and it was very difficult to keep up with clinical and all playing. Our daughter is typical and not sure what she wants to do. Looked into some medical things but is not sure if she could keep up or is that something that is not a good idea?
My approach to your question is going to be a step before figuring out a major.
Particularly because she is in the does not know what she wants to do phase. Take a look at what you can and that is~
2 critical words ~Time management.

This will be a more basic but important first step to figuring out what a college schedule will entail and it's management~
You may want to write down a couple of weekly/monthly schedules of how college classes may be structured throughout the days of the week.
Get it on paper to look at its entirety.
How many hours classes are going to be and then put into the schedule what practicing daily is going to look like. Remember classes may be different times during the day where she has to go to class and then to practice and then to class again. Then add the part of the schedule that has games. Considering where she will be living, add any kind of Drive time's getting to places. Add if she's on campus walking around.
I call it physical time because there is more than just the time you'll be at class/practice but all the time in between trying to shuffle around. Plus getting in some breakfast, lunch and some dinner.
Even finding time to eat can be hard.

Also add team travel time. Sometimes study time will be while traveling with the team.

Could be said that college itself is not for everybody because of all the time management and responsibility to that time management there is. So take a look at what kind of course load she might want to have. And switch up that course load with things like labs.
Add in study time wherever you can.

Doing this you can get an important glimps of what mapping out time management is going to take.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06