Coaching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 11, 2009
My 14 year old dd has been coached by an assistant high school coach for the last several years. He told her as a freshman, she will likely be the team's second pitcher. He has taught her to pitch palm down, bowling release and touch throwing shoulder with success. I read the internal rotation thread and tried to incorporate the concepts with my dd during the last group session. He did not buy into internal rotation concepts despite me showing him some information about internal rotation. Tonight as we were working on 12 oclock to release, he told her in not so friendly of a tone that she will lose at least 5 mph on her fast ball if she fails to throw with a straight arm back to second with palm on top of the ball with palm down to release. She was somewhat upset as I have shown her what elite pitchers do, and it does not appear to be palm down bowling. Needless to say, I am a bit frustrated. The coach has spent alot of free time with my daughter, which I greatly appreciate, but I'm not buying his techniques the more I learn. Anyhow, I'm awaiting Hillhouse's video and looking for coaches. Actually I live about 1 hour south of Bill Hillhouse so we may be seeing him. Sorry for the long post but can anyone recommend an instructor in the New Castle PA area? Looked on the registry but didnt see any close. I have asked around however most appear to be teaching palm down bowling technique in my area. Thanks

Jun 6, 2009
My 14 year old dd has been coached by an assistant high school coach for the last several years. He told her as a freshman, she will likely be the team's second pitcher. He has taught her to pitch palm down, bowling release and touch throwing shoulder with success. I read the internal rotation thread and tried to incorporate the concepts with my dd during the last group session. He did not buy into internal rotation concepts despite me showing him some information about internal rotation. Tonight as we were working on 12 oclock to release, he told her in not so friendly of a tone that she will lose at least 5 mph on her fast ball if she fails to throw with a straight arm back to second with palm on top of the ball with palm down to release. She was somewhat upset as I have shown her what elite pitchers do, and it does not appear to be palm down bowling. Needless to say, I am a bit frustrated. The coach has spent alot of free time with my daughter, which I greatly appreciate, but I'm not buying his techniques the more I learn. Anyhow, I'm awaiting Hillhouse's video and looking for coaches. Actually I live about 1 hour south of Bill Hillhouse so we may be seeing him. Sorry for the long post but can anyone recommend an instructor in the New Castle PA area? Looked on the registry but didnt see any close. I have asked around however most appear to be teaching palm down bowling technique in my area. Thanks

Not familiar with instructors in your area but if Hillhouse is only an hour away sounds like he could be your man, if he is still doing private insruction. Maybe Bill can come out and show your HS coach how it works. Make sure and have you HS coach catch Bill. :)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Time to move on. Thank him for his time, and go to someone better.

If Hillhouse is in the area, I would definitely take her to see him. He knows what he is talking about. As to the drive--you don't have to go every week. It takes 2 to 3 weeks for the DD to incorporate changes into her motion that he might suggest. So, she isn't missing that much. You could even plan on spending more time at his practice facility. My DD and I did that for several years--we did 3 hour lessons 2 weekends out of a month. The first hour was instruction, the other two hours was to make sure we understood what we were taught.

Aug 2, 2008
I agree about moving on. If you go to the pitching video section, you can pause Finch, Ueno, and Sarah Pauley at any part of their motion, print it out and show it to her coach. Ask him why the ball is on top of their hand on the downswing. If that doesn't work you are better off teaching her yourself. I bet he looked at you like you were green or something, been there. Your on the right path. We drive an hour and 15 minutes every week one way instead of five minutes because we found an instructor that understands the natural motion. After all, this is your daughter your talking about, she is your #1 priority not the well intentioned coach.

Mike

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Scott- Hillhouse is doing a coaches clinic in Albion in January at Northwestern school. I dont live too far north of you & have tried to get Bill to do lessons for my DD as well , but have had a hard time making our schedules match.

Nov 11, 2009
Thanks for the responses. I am looking into attending the clinic and lessons. As to my dd's current lessons, the coach is stressing that she needs to attend his sessions in preparation for high school softball. Lots of wispering between he and his assistant as she tries to incorportate internal rotation. Dont want to make waves but she is my very athletic daughter. Hopefully he will just let me work on her arm motion and he can help with stride, push off, etc.

Nov 11, 2009
For those who have followed this thread, received Bill Hillhouse's video. Highly recommend. Anyhow, coach stopped by the house tonight with Cat O's video and said he understands what I'm trying to teach DD re internal rotation. Maybe he is reading my thread as I told him about this forum. Things are looking up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06