Coaching Bad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
It appears that you feel that the sole purpose of basic military training is to prepare the participants for war. That is a popular myth. Do you believe that sole purpose of softball is to prepare the participants to play softball? Or is it possible that many of the qualities instilled during each experience are common to both groups? You are on the right track when you noted the similarities. But as you point out the methods are and should be dissimilar.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
It appears that you feel that the sole purpose of basic military training is to prepare the participants for war. That is a popular myth. Do you believe that sole purpose of softball is to prepare the participants to play softball? Or is it possible that many of the qualities instilled during each experience are common to both groups? You are on the right track when you noted the similarities. But as you point out the methods are and should be dissimilar.

When I went to Parris Island it was drilled (pun intended) into our heads that we were training for combat and that regardless of the contract any of us individually signed, every Marine's first job was 0311 Infantry Basic Rifleman. I don't doubt, however, that attitudes have significantly changed in that aspect since 1982 (i.e. America's Navy - A global force for good).

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
When I went to Parris Island it was drilled (pun intended) into our heads that we were training for combat and that regardless of the contract any of us individually signed, every Marine's first job was 0311 Infantry Basic Rifleman. I don't doubt, however, that attitudes have significantly changed in that aspect since 1982 (i.e. America's Navy - A global force for good).

I am sure that is still and always will be the case that a Marine is first and foremost a rifleman. Every endeavor must have a primary purpose. Just as softball practice is to prepare to win a game, conference, national championship, etc. My point is although the purpose and methods differ many of the qualities and values instilled by both experiences are very similar and transcend into personal and professional life.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Basic training is in fact preparing soldiers for war. Team building, physical fitness, markmanship and weapons training. Drill instructors are loud and mean and paint a portrait of violence with complete control over you. This is in an attempt to break you down phyically, spiritually, and emotionally. They then rebuild you into a soldier. How is any of that relevant to teaching young girls softball?
I've been quoted as saying that as a coach, we are using this game to build better people and not just better ball players. But I would never act like I'm back on active duty with trainees with my softball girls.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Has anyone seen the movie "Whiplash"? J.K Simmons won an Oscar this year for best supporting actor in this film. I watched the trailer - I'll have to get in a good frame of mind for the movie. J.K Simmons plays a very scary Jazz Band leader - perhaps similar to coaches depicted on "Coaching Bad". A friend of mine was a very high level dancer when she was younger. She said the movie gave her flashback nightmares of some of her dance instructors.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Has anyone seen the movie "Whiplash"? J.K Simmons won an Oscar this year for best supporting actor in this film. I watched the trailer - I'll have to get in a good frame of mind for the movie. J.K Simmons plays a very scary Jazz Band leader - perhaps similar to coaches depicted on "Coaching Bad". A friend of mine was a very high level dancer when she was younger. She said the movie gave her flashback nightmares of some of her dance instructors.

Loved this movie and I saw some parallels. Justifying abusive behavior because it will A. motivate the victims to drive themselves to greatness. B. Weed out the mediocre because the great ones would have overcome the abuse no matter what.

The fact that the kid idolized Buddy Rich is no accident, Rich was infamous for being a self-centered, sadistic, alcoholic monster to his band, and there were plenty more like him.

In my youth, I ran into guys like Fletcher in various musical experiences, and I was tense by the end of the movie, pretty easy to imagine how the kids feel after a series of confrontations with some of the coaches I've seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad