Coaches, Players and Social Media: how to handle disrespect.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
After a couple of official visits, and checking out some other colleges who are recruiting some of my former players, every college has a Facebook for its athletics. I haven't been able to dig too deep into the archives but so far I see no drama.

Looks like all current players are "friends", but very little activity on the school site. Most comments/activity are former players, current coaches, and parents.

Sep 18, 2012
FYI, FB is yesterday's news to most teenagers. Twitter is the social site du jour. That's subject to change without notice, or when too many parents are following their kids.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I got one I learned last week. A friend of our has a 15yo who is getting a little wild, running with the wrong older crowd. So her mom, being a parent, was going to set up the tracking service on her phone through AT@T. To see if she was going where she "said" she was. The parent was excited to finally have some tool to help her on the suspicions of the teen, before things got too bad.

Sounded like a good deal, like $15 and accurate within 100 yards. But the rep from AT@T said the company has to send a text to the 15yo phone every two weeks stating "this device is being monitored". They said they had to do it for "privacy" reasons. She was like, "a 15yo shouldn't have a completely private life, they are technically just kids, and more than that she's MY kid and I pay for that cell phone". "Its just policy", the reply.

Now how stupid is that. If you use the service your 10-17yo will know you are tracing them. All they have to do is turn the phone off, it can't be traced without being on. Or they can go to the "place" they tell you they are, leave the phone there and go somewhere else and party all night. All the while you track it and think your baby is right where she said she was.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I got one I learned last week. A friend of our has a 15yo who is getting a little wild, running with the wrong older crowd. So her mom, being a parent, was going to set up the tracking service on her phone through AT@T. To see if she was going where she "said" she was. The parent was excited to finally have some tool to help her on the suspicions of the teen, before things got too bad.

Sounded like a good deal, like $15 and accurate within 100 yards. But the rep from AT@T said the company has to send a text to the 15yo phone every two weeks stating "this device is being monitored". They said they had to do it for "privacy" reasons. She was like, "a 15yo shouldn't have a completely private life, they are technically just kids, and more than that she's MY kid and I pay for that cell phone". "Its just policy", the reply.

Now how stupid is that. If you use the service your 10-17yo will know you are tracing them. All they have to do is turn the phone off, it can't be traced without being on. Or they can go to the "place" they tell you they are, leave the phone there and go somewhere else and party all night. All the while you track it and think your baby is right where she said she was.

Some kid probably won a lawsuit because the parents were "invading" their privacy.... go figure!!!!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Put the tracking device on the car, then. Yes, I agree that the cell phone policy is nuts. One day I was driving down the street in Flagstaff about 11AM on a school day and my daughter's car passed me going the other way. I immediately called her cell phone. No answer. I turned around and caught up to her and her friends at the Dairy Queen. Turns out that the HS, allowed anyone 17 and older, to sign themselves out of class.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Amy, the problem with a car tracker is one, she just turned 15. Sixteen you get a drivers license in TN, so that's a full year away. A year is a long time to wait to help a child going down the wrong path.

#2, it would only work to track the car. Again she could park the car at Susan's ( to spend the night ) and jump in Billy's truck and................

This is a single mom who works her rear off for her two daughters. The 18yo is good as gold, the 15yo is rebellious to say the least. Mom has already found weed and condoms in her room ( a year ago she was as good as her older sister ). So yes, she is trying her best anyway she can to "help" her daughter. The father left them about a year ago, she has tried therapy for the younger, it's not working.

One thing I showed her, there are a few companies who actually place trackers in the soles of shoes. What kid would ever suspect to look there?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Oh, yes. 15.

From my personal experience, if the girl does not clean up her act - no driver's license. Without that she can't get into clubs, movies, etc. Always check her stuff for phony IDs, too.

PM me if you need more ideas.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Oh, yes. 15.

From my personal experience, if the girl does not clean up her act - no driver's license. Without that she can't get into clubs, movies, etc. Always check her stuff for phony IDs, too.

PM me if you need more ideas.

We have an attendance rule in TN for drivers licence, just over a month into school she is already skipping classes, so pretty sure that's gonna take care of that.

Fake ID's? Yea, pretty easy back in my teens to get one. Before all the incoding and bar codes they use now, but where there's a will ( and $$ ) there's a way. I know Chief has picked up a few just around here. Another trick they use is to steal their older siblings ID.

Kids think they are sooooooo smart, they forget we were once teens too. :)

Thank you, if something comes up I'll surely PM you.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The IDs come from a friend that is working a cash register somewhere. A girl buys something and uses her debit card, the clerk asks to see her license, then causes a distraction and keeps the license. The IDs are real and there is no need to counterfeit anything. In IL., it is not illegal to carry someone else's driver's license.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad