Coach Weaver's DVD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
I just wanted to say that I bought Coach Weaver's catching DVD for my DD and it is 100X better than any other training DVD I've seen. It sometimes gets a little long, but it is very in depth. I was a pretty good catcher that chose not to play college ball, and it's amazing how many things I could have improved on. Things I was never taught and never thought about, but listening to Coach Weaver it's like a light was turned on and "Duh, that makes total sense." My DD also loves that he mentions several times that the fastpitch catcher has a harder job than a baseball catcher. I am a member at other softball forums/message boards and have only really heard about this DVD here, so I would like to thank all of you for letting me in on this awesome little secret. It also saddens me to know that Coach recently died. He seems to be a high quality individual that has helped a load of catchers be the best they can be. Even though I'm late to story, I know he will be missed by many and my prayers go out to his family.

May 18, 2009
Can someone post a link of where to buy coach Weavers DVD? I think I'm going to start working with some catchers also since I work with young pitchers. Would be nice to work them as a group together.

Mar 13, 2010
To buy is here (and it made me smile to see that if you put in 'catching coach' DVD is the first option and Weaver is the fourth)

Here is his YouTube channel

Apparently we have them over here. I'm currently trying to get my hands on a copy.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Can someone post a link of where to buy coach Weavers DVD? I think I'm going to start working with some catchers also since I work with young pitchers. Would be nice to work them as a group together.

Here's the URL/link to Coach Weaver's NECC website and the DVD The New England Catching Camp

It's a great idea to start working with your catchers, but one word of caution - while pitching lessons are a good time for catchers to practice specific skills that they're working on, you also will need to work with the catchers separately to teach them the proper techniques (i.e., you can't do pitching and catching lessons at the same time without seriously shortchanging one or both positions)

Good luck!

Mar 13, 2010
(i.e., you can't do pitching and catching lessons at the same time without seriously shortchanging one or both positions)

I have a pitching/catching clinic. 30 minutes on pitching. 30 minutes on catching. You are required to be there for the full hour, otherwise you're not welcome back the next week. (and yes I have had pitching parents try this)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I just wanted to say that I bought Coach Weaver's catching DVD for my DD and it is 100X better than any other training DVD I've seen. It sometimes gets a little long, but it is very in depth. I was a pretty good catcher that chose not to play college ball, and it's amazing how many things I could have improved on. Things I was never taught and never thought about, but listening to Coach Weaver it's like a light was turned on and "Duh, that makes total sense." My DD also loves that he mentions several times that the fastpitch catcher has a harder job than a baseball catcher. I am a member at other softball forums/message boards and have only really heard about this DVD here, so I would like to thank all of you for letting me in on this awesome little secret. It also saddens me to know that Coach recently died. He seems to be a high quality individual that has helped a load of catchers be the best they can be. Even though I'm late to story, I know he will be missed by many and my prayers go out to his family.

IMO the $40 NECC catching DVD hands down is the best SB-related purchase I've ever made. While there's no question that Coach Weaver left us too soon and will be dearly missed by many, we are fortunate that his NECC partner/son, Coach Jay, shares the same passion, knowledge, and ability to teach catching that his Dad had.

Sep 3, 2009
IMO the $40 NECC catching DVD hands down is the best SB-related purchase I've ever made. While there's no question that Coach Weaver left us too soon and will be dearly missed by many, we are fortunate that his NECC partner/son, Coach Jay, shares the same passion, knowledge, and ability to teach catching that his Dad had.

Here here! It really is a wonderful DVD and I learned quite a bit from watching it.
R.I.P. Coach Weaver.

Feb 3, 2011
The practice sessions may not be as glamorous, but young catchers need just as much individual work outside team practice as pitchers do. I had always heard this, but really learned during the All-Star season how valuable a catcher can be in terms of keeping runs off the board. Up until now, I'd just had pitchers and catchers working together to build their chemistry and had not really tried to teach anything other than how to pop up to make a throw.

We've got Coach Weaver's DVD in use.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
The new England Catching Camp still has openings for their summer camps. Coach Jay Weaver (Dave's oldest) is manning this summer's camps. Jay goes by CCJR here on discussfastpitch. I bought Dave's video in 07 and now provide Dave's instruction to catchers in KC. Probably the only problem people have with Dave's video is that many of them end up being the go-to "catching guru" in their community! This said, their will never be another Coach Dave Weaver.

Dec 18, 2010
Just ordered my copy can't wait to see what I haven't been teaching right, always trying to improve my coaching and umpiring skills.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish