Coach or GM?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
It always seemed to me that coaching at 10U is a lot more work and is a lot harder than coaching at 16U.

My DD's current team feels like mercenaries. Very few of the girls know each other.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Many times~ Coach or Gm are simply two title's who argue who has the fianl word.
Usually telling everyone they are in charge of the team, while the other tells everyone they are in charge of the team.

Be sure to get both in front of you to see if they actually agree on what is being told to you/team, including tryouts!

Serioulsy!

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Some of the first words spoken from DD paid coach is "we are going to focus on the fundamentals." I found that interesting because DD is playing high level 16U. DD also happens to be a recruited pitcher.

As far as the coach's not having an effect on the game, you should have watched our games. Coaches can definitely impact the game, good and bad. I watched two consecutive losses at Nationals due to poor (fundamental) decision making from the coaching staff.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Some of the first words spoken from DD paid coach is "we are going to focus on the fundamentals." I found that interesting because DD is playing 16U. DD also happens to be a recruited pitcher.

As far as the coach's not having an effect on the game, you should have watched our games. Coaches can definitely impact the game, good and bad. I watched two consecutive losses at Nationals due to poor (fundamental) decision making from the coaching staff.
😄 Well...coach did say
"we are going to focus on fundamentals"
'We' could be the coaching staff ;)
Atleast coach was upfront
🙊🙉🙈

Yikes! Think your correct about initial thoughts on
fundamentals in t.b. at 16u being a red flag.
Especially with Nationals on the schedule!

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Maybe it's a TB phenomenon, but trust me when your DD's and DS's make it to the next level, they will absolutely be coached. By the coach. On fundamentals.

We have all seen or posted, on this very site, college coaches demonstrating drills. Or MLB coaches (granted not usually the head coach) demonstrating really basic fundamental skills drills.

Maybe something to do with the fact that we were allowed up to 4 hours a day to practice, but my college head coach absolutely coached, basics, drills, all day long all season long.

Maybe I'm not following the conversation correctly here. Maybe it's to do with the time a TB coach has with the kids. But, if the SF Giants don't expect a 22 yo prospect to be 100% fundamentally sound, I'm not sure why we expect a 16u player to be fundamentally sound.

May 17, 2012
Maybe something to do with the fact that we were allowed up to 4 hours a day to practice, but my college head coach absolutely coached, basics, drills, all day long all season long.

Maybe she/he just needed to kill 4 hours everyday. To assume that players aren't fundamentally sound by 16u is silly. Yes every one can get better but we are talking about diminishing returns by that point.

Lots of 16u travel teams beat college teams in exhibitions every year.

Nov 18, 2015
Maybe she/he just needed to kill 4 hours everyday. To assume that players aren't fundamentally sound by 16u is silly. Yes every one can get better but we are talking about diminishing returns by that point.

Lots of 16u travel teams beat college teams in exhibitions every year.

Is that really a thing - 16U teams playing college teams? (Or is this just for SoCal, where the 16U's are probably using it as a warm up before the "real" competition begins w/ tournament play? :) )

And I'll agree with GD2BAW - on many of the zoom calls or podcasts I've seen with college coaches, they often talk about fundamentals. I think it was even the Kentucky HC (hah!) that talked about something along the lines of "if I could only work on one thing at practice, it would be fundamentals".

Mar 10, 2020
In reading the boards, and in a few years of being around the game, it seems like a lot of coaches are more interested in being General Managers of their teams than coaches. They actively recruit the best players available, and often sort of expect them to come onto the new team already game-ready. They may tweak a few things along the way, but it seems once girls get above 12, fewer and fewer coaches want to teach the game. Instead, they focus on finding players that are already developed the way they want them.

Anybody else starting to feel that way?
Usually in travel ball gm is an management title that means they dont know how to coach but they can get info on hotel rates.

Jul 27, 2015
My opinion has changed over the years. There is a place for each type of coach.

For years my daughter played on a team that taught defensive fundamentals. They were below average on game management, showcasing their players, and working on offense. But they did an excellent job bringing many girls who were really not that talented into an above average defensive team.

We switched teams a year ago, a year or two later than we should have, to a team with far less fundamentals coaching but one that excels in game management, showcasing their players and getting the girls swings of the bat. The new coach is really a GM. And we could not be any happier with the new team. This is exactly what my daughter needed.

IMO, in the early years, you absolutely should be on a team that works on fundamentals. After that, it depends on what your goals are.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles