Coach issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
Without a doubt. Interesting to note that when watching UCLA vs ULL the other day, commentators noted that one girl on ULL had never even played fastpitch before ULL, only slowpitch in HS. Im pretty sure they taught her a alot, esp how to slap.

I heard that on the broadcast as well, but as it turns out, Nerissa Myers' high school actually had both slowpitch and fastpitch and she was a star in both. She did not grow up playing fastpitch, however. According to the media guide, she didn't pick up the game until 8th grade.

I'm not saying that it cannot happen, but it would be extremely unusual for a player to walk onto a D1 team in any sport they'd never played before.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I heard that on the broadcast as well, but as it turns out, Nerissa Myers' high school actually had both slowpitch and fastpitch and she was a star in both. She did not grow up playing fastpitch, however. According to the media guide, she didn't pick up the game until 8th grade.

I'm not saying that it cannot happen, but it would be extremely unusual for a player to walk onto a D1 team in any sport they'd never played before.
Wow. We were talking about this earlier today. I said that she most likely got on the team because of her fielding and speed. I thought they surely had to teach her a lot about hitting.

Do you have a source saying that she played both, out of curiosity?

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Sorry to say, this happens to much all over the country, that does not make your situation easier. In mho, kids at this age are not super stars, sure some are better, but what is the game all about? Fun and recreation at this level it should be, until you get to the more competitive levels. I have seen the father and son's - daughters situations from this age to jr legion baseball, where other kids sit so the coaches kids get more time, and not because they are better. Those coaches, don't belong for fairness in mho, .If you are purely paying a fee and no tryouts where you would have to make the team or forfeit your tryout money, you deserve equal time, how ever as i say it is wide spread, and i havepersonally witnessed it with many families. Some league commissioners fail to get it and side with their buddy coaches. For ten years i have seen this and i see it in high school. I did not set back and some changes were made, after all it's about the kids not the ego's of wanna be coaches. I played organized ball at the youngest level through amateur baeball and fortunately never had that issue. The thing to do is ask the heads of the team or league why you are in this situation, explain your case, what you see, and ask for an explanation, in freshman ball here that happened, the parent asked the coach, the coach said there were more talented kids. At this level it gets more competitive, how ever no tryouts were held, the parents paid the fee, the kids sat on the bench. In my days, you tried out, if you made it your name was on a list in a posted area, no name shown, you did not make it. But in rec programs equal time should exist, if it's traveling teams in a competitive league situation, the better athletes probably will see more time. I grand daughters grandsons in these situations and parents have witnessed your very situation. I can evaluate my grand kids on their levels , and it is mixed, can they compete in the environment they are in, yes they can, from 10 to 18. It is ery peculiar how rec coaches "baby sitters" in some cases, get involved but it is usually because a parent here, that's where i have issues.
I doubt that i have helped you but if the child wants to play, by all means stick to it . good luck, being i am a new member here, if this is out of line, you can delete the post/

Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
Not working on Fundamentals??

I agree, no matter what level, fundamentals should be a focus, every player at every level can get better and it starts with fundamentals.

Football players, for example, go over fundamentals at all levels. Whether it is conditioning or proper techniques for making tackles....

I just had to the response that there are travel teams that don't work on fundamentals and only strategy. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, so not working on the fundamentals, only allows the weaknesses to remain and possibly the strengths to be lost....

MUSCLE MEMORY... Takes repetition, and almost all movements is sports require muscle memory. With growing kids, they need even more repetition because they are growing and new muscle cells need the repetition to catch up... A coach in my own opinion should be helping players develop fundamentals of whatever sport it is, and at 10U, most players should still need some developing, there are not many 10U players who don't have weaknesses...

But, I would say something, worse case is your daughter sits out the entire game. And it will give the coach a chance to explain why. There may be reasons that as a parent (not a coach) you may be unaware of. It is hard to look at our kids and see failure or other kids that are better, but I try to be realistic, my kid may not be the fastest, but if she can hit the ball further, then she has more time to run....

Mar 20, 2010
I have to agree with stemcellsrock and coach ken; no matter at what level your kids play, if fundamentals are not being taught during team practices, you are not only hurting the individual player but you are hurting the team. As a coach and a parent, my 8yo daughter is neither the best or the worst on the team but in each game she plays I can always pick out things she needs to work on. We practice outside of team practices in order for her to progress into a better player but if she never gets to put what she learns in practice to use in game situations, it can cause her to be discouraged and feel as though she is not worthy to be on the team and stop trying altogether.

As a rec team we teach fundamentals both in practices and even during games. (I often say games are the best practices.) I am also friends with several travel team coaches and they would all agree teaching fundamentals at every opportunity is crucial.

Talk to the coach and see if you can work things out, if not, take things to the commissioner or board of the travel team. If you still can't seem to get answers that are satisfactory then search for a more suitable team that will not only promote the individual player growth but that of teamwork and sportsmanship, as well.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion

Well I guess that doesnt surprise me, the commentators were getting something a lot of things wrong, mis-statements, etc.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
13 is too many players. Yes, we work on fundamentals every
practice. If a girl is not improving and she loses playing time as a result,
then mom and dad need to help her outside of team practices. This is
travel ball, the players need to earn playing time

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Should we approach the coach, ask what she can do to improve or why she isn't catching or playing much?

Absolutely.

Should we let DD ask?

Look at this as teaching her a life skill. How does a person handle a problem at school or work when she isn't being recognized for her talents? What do you do? Take her with you when you talk to the coach, and let her see how adults handle this problem. She'll face this same issue many, many times as an adult. It is good training.

Am I all wrong in thinking this is not right?

I'm not sure what you are referring to. But, you should go talk to the coach and see why she isn't getting more playing time. There is no need to get mad or angry with the coach, but there is no need to waffle and pretend that everything is OK. You've got legitimate concerns about your child, and you need to address those concerns with your coach.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00