Coach chooses to bat 9

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
How would I like the coach to respond? I would like to hear "I should not have done that. Players can't develop while they are sitting on the bench, so I should try to get everyone into the game. If I do that, then the team and all of the players will be stronger in the long run. From now on I will make every effort to get all of the players into the game." How would the coach probably respond? "I am the coach and I make the decisions based on what gives the team the best chance to win." How would I respond to that expected answer? "I'm sure my money will be better spent joining a team that will help my daughter be a better player and actually... play."
Many would respond to you by saying, ' We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. Have a safe trip home on your 11 hour drive. '
Individual player's skills are learned, worked on and refined in practices both with the team and at home. Game situational awareness can be learned the same way. That's where a majority of individual players' true development happens,...in practice. Granted, the situational awareness is refined in live games but it's a lesser part of an individual's development with the exception of P's and C's. Therefore, if you want your DD to play more, have her work harder on her craft in practice so she can actually become the best 9 to go on the field.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
How would I like the coach to respond? I would like to hear "I should not have done that. Players can't develop while they are sitting on the bench, so I should try to get everyone into the game. If I do that, then the team and all of the players will be stronger in the long run. From now on I will make every effort to get all of the players into the game." How would the coach probably respond? "I am the coach and I make the decisions based on what gives the team the best chance to win." How would I respond to that expected answer? "I'm sure my money will be better spent joining a team that will help my daughter be a better player and actually... play."
It sounds like you are on a competitive team and your style more aligns with a less competitive team. My daughter has played with a highly competitive team since she was 10 she's now 14. We always bat all and play all in pool, but have never batted all in bracket. We use dp flex and runners etc and sub to get everyone involved. My 8yos team is not very competitive right now so we bat all and play all in every situation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mar 10, 2020
Then there is pecking order.
All well and good to work on performance. Social que's often expose who fits in and who doesnt.

Feb 20, 2020
If the OP was the coach, I’d say something like “Yeah, I know how frustrating that is. I was just trying to give them the best at chance at another game or two, but I’ll keep what you’re saying in mind for the next one. Thanks for bringing up your concerns. I know how hard she’s trying, and will do my best to make sure she sees it pay off.”

The coach doesn’t need to be authoritarian about it, and acknowledging a parents concern never hurts. Might get them the benefit of the doubt for next time.

Dec 11, 2010
Individual player's skills are learned, worked on and refined in practices both with the team and at home. Game situational awareness can be learned the same way. That's where a majority of individual players' true development happens,...in practice. Granted, the situational awareness is refined in live games but it's a lesser part of an individual's development
Just wanted to quote and highlight some really good stuff.

I don’t think players and parents get what a great advantage they have when a coach knows What to work on and How to work on game situations that their team is seeing.

The old guys I coach with set up defensive scenarios in practice that sometimes looks “ungamelike”. Sometimes it looks slow and quite frankly, rough. If I didn’t know the success these guys have had, if I saw it in passing I would never think it would work. Yet it does. They prove it week after week in games when stuff happens and I think to myself “we worked on that”. And somehow, some way, that (sometimes) slow awkward looking practice turns into game speed awesomeness.

Now don’t get me wrong- they worked on skills all winter and they work on throwing and catching EVERY practice and that stuff looks smooth. But some of our best game scenario, increase your softball I.Q. stuff may not look like it’s worth doing.... That fascinates me.

Last edited:

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Many would respond to you by saying, ' We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. Have a safe trip home on your 11 hour drive. '
Individual player's skills are learned, worked on and refined in practices both with the team and at home. Game situational awareness can be learned the same way. That's where a majority of individual players' true development happens,...in practice. Granted, the situational awareness is refined in live games but it's a lesser part of an individual's development with the exception of P's and C's. Therefore, if you want your DD to play more, have her work harder on her craft in practice so she can actually become the best 9 to go on the field.
I would be happy to do just that, find another team that will help my daughter develop. Practice is where skills are learned. Games are where those skills are tested to see how a player is progressing. You just can't see that as well in practice. Coaches who don't understand that aren't worth much. Too many of them think that they are in the NCAA World Series or the Olympic Games. They are not. Their job is developing players. If they value winning over development, then they are worthless. My guess is that this type of coach is no better in practice than in games so the player gets nothing on both ends.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
It sounds like you are on a competitive team and your style more aligns with a less competitive team. My daughter has played with a highly competitive team since she was 10 she's now 14. We always bat all and play all in pool, but have never batted all in bracket. We use dp flex and runners etc and sub to get everyone involved. My 8yos team is not very competitive right now so we bat all and play all in every situation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Highly competitive? We are still talking about children who are on the team to develop skills that will be valuable down the road. You have to prepare all of your players for success and then give them the opportunity to achieve it. Every player counts the same. The girl sitting on the bench might be the one who takes over for the star who gets injured or sick. She is going to have a much tougher time of it if she wasn't given experience before she was needed.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Venting....

Before the season started we told HC DD would be out over a weekend. Sunday morning we got an 'emergency' call that they really needed DD if at all possible. OK, really a hassle but DD made it to the first game to enjoy sitting on the bench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13