Coach chooses to bat 9

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Venting....

Before the season started we told HC DD would be out over a weekend. Sunday morning we got an 'emergency' call that they really needed DD if at all possible. OK, really a hassle but DD made it to the first game to enjoy sitting on the bench.
Inexcusable.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I would be happy to do just that, find another team that will help my daughter develop. Practice is where skills are learned. Games are where those skills are tested to see how a player is progressing. You just can't see that as well in practice. Coaches who don't understand that aren't worth much. Too many of them think that they are in the NCAA World Series or the Olympic Games. They are not. Their job is developing players. If they value winning over development, then they are worthless. My guess is that this type of coach is no better in practice than in games so the player gets nothing on both ends.

No one here is advocating for only 9 players to get all the playing time. Any decent coach knows the importance of having depth at all positions, and game reps is part of developing that depth. For some players, game reps in lower-pressure situations is better for their development. Also...Winning games on elimination day means that the team gets to play more games, and ALL the players get more opportunities for time on the field.

May 6, 2015
No one here should be advocating for only 9 players to get all the playing time. Any decent coach knows the importance of having depth at all positions, and game reps is part of developing that depth. For some players, game reps in lower-pressure situations is better for their development. Also...Winning games on elimination day means that the team gets to play more games, and ALL the players get more opportunities for time on the field.
FIFY. what you said is how it should be, but some do argue that a player must be undeniably better to supplant a starter (not just comparable) sad but true.

May 6, 2015
Venting....

Before the season started we told HC DD would be out over a weekend. Sunday morning we got an 'emergency' call that they really needed DD if at all possible. OK, really a hassle but DD made it to the first game to enjoy sitting on the bench.
what happened subsequent games? I know if DD got asked to guest play as a catcher, if the coach sat her first game, with idea of using her second, fairly on board with that, especially if really hot out.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
No one here is advocating for only 9 players to get all the playing time. Any decent coach knows the importance of having depth at all positions, and game reps is part of developing that depth. For some players, game reps in lower-pressure situations is better for their development. Also...Winning games on elimination day means that the team gets to play more games, and ALL the players get more opportunities for time on the field.
Actually, winning on elimination day would mean that the same players would get more playing time and the rest would get more bench time. I am not against playing to win, I just like coaches who make it a point of getting all of the players involved as much as possible. Too few do that (despite what they will tell you).

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
She was not going to play any game, she was going to sit out all day.

Middle of last game AC pulled HC to get away from everyone and started yelling at him. She got put in the game. Sure that was a boast of confidence for her. I asked DD if she wanted to leave after 1st game and she said no.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
In my opinion, many focus too much on the playing aspect for development. There is a TON to be learned from facing adversity. Now I'm not saying that being glued to the bench for an entire season is good, but keep things in perspective... The player started in the field for a nationals bracket game.

"Don't get bitter, just get better"

or lots of other ones here!
http://letmegooglethat.com

May 24, 2013
So Cal
FIFY. what you said is how it should be, but some do argue that a player must be undeniably better to supplant a starter (not just comparable) sad but true.

I'm fully on board with the idea that a player needs to work towards being undeniably better if they expect to take the place of a current #1 starter. What I don't agree with is a parent expecting equal time for their DD who they think is "just as good" (there's frequently a "parent goggles" factor in there). That doesn't mean that the #2 player doesn't get any playing time, or even a pretty good amount of playing time. She might also get to start some games. However, an undeniable #1 has earned the right to be the favored player. I encourage #1 to keep working to keep their spot, just as I encourage #2 to try to take it. In that, they BOTH get better. Competition is a good thing.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Actually, winning on elimination day would mean that the same players would get more playing time and the rest would get more bench time. I am not against playing to win, I just like coaches who make it a point of getting all of the players involved as much as possible. Too few do that (despite what they will tell you).

"As much as possible" is an important determination. Getting all the players equal playing time is not realistic for a competitive team. Everyone has a role to play. Not all roles are the same.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
"As much as possible" is an important determination. Getting all the players equal playing time is not realistic for a competitive team. Everyone has a role to play. Not all roles are the same.
100%. Every team that advertises for new players and has tryouts always say "all positions are earned". If someone wants guaranteed/equal playing time they should focus on rec ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802