Close call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
First bracket game of the season. We entered with 2 wins and ranked #2 out of 9 teams in the 14U division and were playing the #7 seed. In a previous post I mentioned that the fields we were playing on were multi use. A rectangular setup with the four backstops at each corner, huge outfield. What I didn't know is they were also setup for multi-divisional use as well. First pitch DD takes her normal stride and when she plants it looked like something jumped up and grabbed her foot. Her ankle buckles underneath her and she collapses in a heap. The idiots that setup these fields did not remove the 10U pitching plate they merely covered it with dirt. Her heel cleat caught on the plate and that is what caused her ankle to buckle.

#2 pitcher came into the game and pitched fantastic. Gave up 4 runs but her offense came up with run support and the defense played a tight 1 error game. We won 7 - 4 and advance to the semifinal tomorrow.

Good news. DD threw a strike on her one pitch of the game and the ankle is fine and she is good to go tomorrow.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I can't believe they didn't remove the plate.

From now on, however, get her to "scratch" around in the dirt before taking her first pitch. Our pitchers always smooth stuff out, etc. If she would have kicked some dirt around she might would have found the plate.

Mar 15, 2010
Quick update. Played our semifinal game early this morning. DD was able to start but could not make her usual leap and drag and had to adjust to more of a step style. This took about 3 - 4 mph off the pitches. Strikeouts dropped significantly from about 9 per game to 2 today. Defense played error free and offense put up just enough for us to hold onto a 2-1 win. We play in the championship game at 1 today and DD isn't sure she can pitch. Game time decision.

Mar 15, 2010
I can't believe they didn't remove the plate.

From now on, however, get her to "scratch" around in the dirt before taking her first pitch. Our pitchers always smooth stuff out, etc. If she would have kicked some dirt around she might would have found the plate.

Normally me and the pitcher walk the circle before the game. This was one of those times that the previous game went long and the field crew hustled to get it ready for our game. Soon as they were done the ump called our team out. Lesson learned.

Mar 15, 2010
Championship Game Update. DD could not pitch. She wanted to go but I was not willing to risk further injury. She could barely put weight on the ankle and I was concerned one wrong step and she could be out for weeks. #2 pitcher got the start. First 3 innings were a good game. #2 pitched a smart game and kept the ball low and was hitting inside/outside well. 4th inning the wheels came off the bus. As the batters got their second look they nailed her timing and her change up and drop were not working well. They put up 4earned runs and we could not make up the run deficit. Their #1 pitcher kept our batters off balance all day and we were only able to put together a handful of scattered hits and bunts all day. Only got 1 runner across the plate. Team continued to play solid defense with only 1 throwing and 1 mental error. Altogether I am pleased with the first tournament results.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06