Clinic Recruiting?(for lack of a better title)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

So DD went to a "skills clinic" the other day. She is a 14U. It was a nice one that they had girls from 8th grade mixed in with girls up to 12th grade so we got to see her against some older girls which was kind of cool since she will be headed to high school this season. They all had different colored writst bands to show what year they were and DD's managed to get torn off. Anyway, in the AM session, she was killing the ball in the hitting session. She had three coaches approach her after hitting and ask her what her name was, what year she was, and what team she played for (just made a switch so she doesn't have a jersey). All of them were very complimentary of her and told her she has a great bat for a 14U. I kind of watched around and they only seemed to talk to specific girls after they would run through one of the stations. It wasn't like they were talking to every kid there (104 of them). She asked some great questions in the Q&A and it seemed like they kind of liked her. Two of them also talked to her in the afternoon and told her they liked her attitude and how coachable she was after the fielding sessions and scrimmages were over.

This is new to me, but should she follow up with the coaches for the sake of keeping in touch? I don't know if they were being nice or showing a genuine interest.

Any thoughts?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
GTRH8R, you didn't mention who put the skills clinic on. If this as at a university then yes, she should make a contact. That shows interest but as important shows what type of person she is if she sends a "thank you" as well. If teams change etc.she should also tell them.

There were coaches from seven or so universities. The three coaches that talked to her were head coaches at the schools they coach for. There is a showcase this weekend and the clininc is done in conjuction with it.

Apr 6, 2012
She should send a thank you to the coaches who worked with her specifically and she should update them periodically on how she is doing, who she is playing for, etc.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My daughter's university, The University of Missouri at St. Louis is doing a similar thing this Monday. My dd is working the showcase where players will be timed to various bases, then rated on various skills. I know that the UMSL players are simply there to assist and will not be doing any rating. I don't know how many colleges will be there. I was thinking I might wander over there just to take a look.

GTRH8R, my daughter attended one of these showcases a few years back and in doing so, met a coach who was an assistant at that time. Still, she sent thank yous as well as shaking the hands of all of the coaches after the event. She then sent email follow ups and did updates with these various coaches. We were amazed to find out that one of these coaches of whom she thanked became a head coach and started recruiting her. In a sport where so many athletes are very similar in abilities, these other traits such as manners, really stand out. JMHO!

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Cannonball gave you some very sound advice. We have attending the NFCA and Queen of Diamonds. Your dd needs to follow up and market herself. There are many places to get advice. Google the Top Recruit a NFCS magazine or Catharine Aradi "Preparing to play softball at the Collegiate Level. Many good articles on the subject. We played this weekend for a Gold team and ran out of profiles and how more college coaches contact us in one weekend than we did in the last two years. So exposure is the key. One interesting point that the college coaches made. They don't know if you are good or not till they see you play against the best. They had a complaint that many play weak teams and they have no idea if they can hit a college pitcher.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06