Clicker training w/Rick Pauly

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Crystals daughter, Dominique, is a very diligent hard working pitching student. She makes her own notes after practices and games on what she needs to work on. She is also a young lady of very few words...shy/quite. The non-verbal communication of a clicker works exceptionally well with her.....she is able to correct a non-positive move immediately....she may be quite but she is a very quick thinker. Clicker training bypasses the complex processing required of verbal communications and tends to help the brain create nervous system circuits stronger/faster. It is a very effective training method of either correction of a movement or for learning a new movement. I highly recommend coaches give this training method a serious look.

I'm going to give it a shot.... we had a blowout last night. With her having a catcher, I'm seeing way more stuff :cool:

Mar 28, 2013
This video and FFS post gave me an idea, I've got a shock collar with a remote I'm not currently using. I could see it really cutting down on practice times.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This video and FFS post gave me an idea, I've got a shock collar with a remote I'm not currently using. I could see it really cutting down on practice times.

The clicker is used as positive reinforcement. Also note in the video how he mentions that a word can be used in place of the clicker. He gave examples of "yeesssss!" and "good".

It's about giving feedback ... and in the example Rick gave it was the lack of feedback that was negative feedback.

From an instructor's viewpoint ... 'not clicking' is a lot easier than barking out another cue. The intent of course is to encourage the student to engage in the process of 'active learning'. As the video shows, it even works for dogs.

It helps a great deal if the person doing the 'clicking' (and 'no clicking') is objective and knows what they are doing.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Crystals daughter, Dominique, is a very diligent hard working pitching student. She makes her own notes after practices and games on what she needs to work on. She is also a young lady of very few words...shy/quite. The non-verbal communication of a clicker works exceptionally well with her.....she is able to correct a non-positive move immediately....she may be quite but she is a very quick thinker. Clicker training bypasses the complex processing required of verbal communications and tends to help the brain create nervous system circuits stronger/faster. It is a very effective training method of either correction of a movement or for learning a new movement. I highly recommend coaches give this training method a serious look.

I have to say that I admire my daughter for not giving up when she was told, "she wasn't fast enough….she isn't built to be a pitcher." She could of given up when she didn't make the team her 8th grade year….but she didn't. Her hard work and dedication has helped her improve to the point where travel ball teams are calling to ask her guest play. Now if we can only get her to talk more.

Nov 7, 2014
I have to say that I admire my daughter for not giving up when she was told, "she wasn't fast enough….she isn't built to be a pitcher." She could of given up when she didn't make the team her 8th grade year….but she didn't. Her hard work and dedication has helped her improve to the point where travel ball teams are calling to ask her guest play. Now if we can only get her to talk more.

I got to watch Dominique this weekend she looks good and was impressed with her progress :)

How does this training work with girls at the 14U level?

The clicker training works for every age group. The first pitcher I ever used it on was a senior in college. The older the pitcher the more deeply ingrained a muscle movement probably is.....so retraining becomes more difficult. The clicker is one of the very best methods for correcting movements.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
I'm getting a clicker! I had one for cat training but I can't find it. I think this will work great for me and my dd, less verbal cues I think my voice just grates on her nerves! I just worry I won't be able to see what she's doing good enough in real time to use it, if that's makes sense. I usually take video and show her the vid.

I'm getting a clicker! I had one for cat training but I can't find it. I think this will work great for me and my dd, less verbal cues I think my voice just grates on her nerves! I just worry I won't be able to see what she's doing good enough in real time to use it, if that's makes sense. I usually take video and show her the vid.

For anyone contemplating clicker training there are certain protocals to understand that are very critical to the success. I don't usually try to advertise on this site, but feel strongly about this training method and how beneficial it can be for lots of viewers on this site. I have created a training protocal video recently and just put it up on my online store at PaulyGirl Fastpitch

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA