Cleanup on aisle 5.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
We just had a new Academy Sports open in our town, I've been praying, hoping, and wishing they'd open and punch DSG straight in the mouth! I went in there yesterday and made a beeline straight to the gloves.........it was sickening! I'm sure to the shoppers who were within 5 aisles of me, they thought someone had food poisoning over in the ball glove section!! It was a terrible!

EDIT: I probably should preface this with...........what was I really expecting?? :rolleyes:

May 29, 2015
Those aren’t stores we have around here ... but I guess my question is this: Is any sporting goods store a “destination” for quality/specialty/high end equipment?

It seems to me every one is a clothing/shoe store with some of your run-of-the mill sporting goods that you can find just about anywhere. There is not a lot of variety and absolutely no “specialty” items.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Most stores are now made up of lower level equipment and clothes/shoes. Stuff that you want to buy in a store and that
you aren't going to save much by buying online. Also, maybe things you wouldn't want to pay shipping on...like kayaks,
weights and stuff...haha. I mean, if you are buying a 30 dollar glove, you are gonna just go buy one. Same as a cheapie bat, you
just go get one.

BUT, for example, like bats. I know these big stores have buying power and there are stores that carry high end stuff. But
corporate distributes them to the stores they feel "fit" the store that can sell things like that. Im not sure if many big stores even
carry the high end gloves though. I have never seen them.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Most stores are now made up of lower level equipment and clothes/shoes. Stuff that you want to buy in a store and that
you aren't going to save much by buying online. Also, maybe things you wouldn't want to pay shipping on...like kayaks,
weights and stuff...haha. I mean, if you are buying a 30 dollar glove, you are gonna just go buy one. Same as a cheapie bat, you
just go get one.

BUT, for example, like bats. I know these big stores have buying power and there are stores that carry high end stuff. But
corporate distributes them to the stores they feel "fit" the store that can sell things like that. Im not sure if many big stores even
carry the high end gloves though. I have never seen them.
Oh I get exactly what you and @The Man In Blue are saying.......but not one (1) HOH or A2000 in the store!

Feb 15, 2017
Scheels carries a limited supply of high end gear including bats and gloves. Other than that it’s usually a mom and pop specialty store around her if you are looking for anything over the $100 mark on anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01