Classy umpire

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I think the key word is "If".....when I think of a dead ball, I think of all play stopping immediately and that is not necessarily the case with obstruction. I think interference is a dead ball and play stops immediately.

Delayed dead ball means that there was a rule violation where an award or judgment will be made at the end of the play. That is, the ball will become dead once the play is over, not immediately when the violation occurs.

Note that the same signal is used for an illegal pitch, where the ball may still be batted into play, but there may be penalties to access once the play is over.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Delayed dead ball means that there was a rule violation where an award or judgment will be made at the end of the play. That is, the ball will become dead once the play is over, not immediately when the violation occurs.

Note that the same signal is used for an illegal pitch, where the ball may still be batted into play, but there may be penalties to access once the play is over.

Thanks!!!!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Why would you give a signal for a delayed dead ball if it wasn't a delayed dead ball? Seems to me that would be confusing. Here's what I found online from the NSA rulebook. I imagine it's pretty much the same in all rulebooks:

It is a DDB in order to not deprive the offended team of making more of the play. If the OBS runner safely reaches the base to which they would have been awarded, the DDB is dropped and play continues. If the OBS runner is put out or fails to safely reach the base that in the umpire's judgment they would have made had the OBS not occurred, the ball is then ruled dead and the OBS rule is applied.

For those who think a player must make an attempt to advance, what would you say if your player rounded first and ran into a defender and was knocked to the ground? Are you going to accept the fact they she should not get 2B because she couldn't get up, gather her senses and attempt to advance before the ball is returned to the infield?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
It is a DDB in order to not deprive the offended team of making more of the play. If the OBS runner safely reaches the base to which they would have been awarded, the DDB is dropped and play continues. If the OBS runner is put out or fails to safely reach the base that in the umpire's judgment they would have made had the OBS not occurred, the ball is then ruled dead and the OBS rule is applied.

For those who think a player must make an attempt to advance, what would you say if your player rounded first and ran into a defender and was knocked to the ground? Are you going to accept the fact they she should not get 2B because she couldn't get up, gather her senses and attempt to advance before the ball is returned to the infield?

I guess my question would be what if the runner goes back to the base she came from? You would be giving her something that she no intention of obtaining (the next base). As opposed to being unable to advance because of being knocked down.

On the other hand, then you get into did she not attempt to get to the next base because of the obstruction, thinking she'd be out and not knowing that obstruction was being signaled since runners rarely look at the umpire while on base? At that point you'd be trying to get into the head (again) of a player and determine her intentions. I suppose automatically awarding the base keeps it simple and straightforward.

I guess I haven't seen it called correctly very often either. Like Dabears if no attempt is made the runner usually stays on the base they were on. Sort of a no harm no foul approach. Good to know what the actual rule is. I will be a better-informed spectator the next time I watch a game.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I guess my question would be what if the runner goes back to the base she came from? You would be giving her something that she no intention of obtaining (the next base). As opposed to being unable to advance because of being knocked down.

On the other hand, then you get into did she not attempt to get to the next base because of the obstruction, thinking she'd be out and not knowing that obstruction was being signaled since runners rarely look at the umpire while on base? At that point you'd be trying to get into the head (again) of a player and determine her intentions. I suppose automatically awarding the base keeps it simple and straightforward.

I guess I haven't seen it called correctly very often either. Like Dabears if no attempt is made the runner usually stays on the base they were on. Sort of a no harm no foul approach. Good to know what the actual rule is. I will be a better-informed spectator the next time I watch a game.

Here is the question the umpire must consider:

Where would this runner have ended up if she was not obstructed?

If she is knocked to the ground rounding first and the ball is rolling around out by the fence, it is very likely that she would have made it to second or perhaps third without the obstruction (knocked down). If the runner gets up and goes back to first, she should be awarded second (or third) at the conclusion of the play. This is strictly umpire judgement.

I will say that the great majority of the time, the runner reaches the base they would have made anyway without the obstruction, so no further award is necessary. This seems to be in line with your observations. However, your thought of "keep going, it's a freebie" is also accurate since the runner cannot be put out between the bases they were obstructed, in this case first and second, and the worst case scenario is that the runner is put back on first base. There are some exceptions to that (interference, passing another runner, etc), but for the most part, it is a free chance to advance a base.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
I had a girl get a base hit to right field fielded cleanly she was obtructed while rounding first. The ump signaled obs i sent her to second. She was thrown out by a mile. Ump moved her back to first because thats the base she would have made w out obs and you cant be put out between the bases where obs occurred. One of very few times this rule was applied correctly in my experience .

Nov 16, 2015
We had great umpires last weekend. I was very pleased. 1 stood out in particular for 2 different scenarios.

1. Other team would bunt and then run to first inside of baseline. He basically told the catcher to hit them on your throw and then i can call them out for being inside the baseline.
2. short pop fly to first baseman. I am the 1st base coach so it happened right in front of me. Umpire felt it didnt touch her glove before going foul, i did. Not a big deal. I questioned it. The umpires got together and discussed it. he gave one of the craziest looks i have ever seen and i just started laughing. I felt bad bc i didnt want them thinking i was laughing at them. So in between innings, i walked over and said sir, I just want you to know i was laughing at you, rather the face you made. It reminded me of the NFL referees commercial with "your mic's on." We both laughed and moved on.

At the youth level (all sports), I think it is very important for officials to not only call the game, but also give a slight explanation as to why they called it. We had this all last weekend and i know our coaching staff appreciated it.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
We had great umpires last weekend. I was very pleased. 1 stood out in particular for 2 different scenarios.

1. Other team would bunt and then run to first inside of baseline. He basically told the catcher to hit them on your throw and then i can call them out for being inside the baseline.

That isn't an umpire, that is a coach and has no right being both at the same time.

At the youth level (all sports), I think it is very important for officials to not only call the game, but also give a slight explanation as to why they called it. We had this all last weekend and i know our coaching staff appreciated it.

I completely disagree for the same reason as above. When there is a question, the umpire making the call can offer the coach an explanation and move on.

Jan 26, 2015
Glad I came across this post this evening. My daughter pitched a no hitter in MS ball and they mercied the other team. Her coach tried to squeeze in two more sub batters (8th graders who don't play much) after the mercy run came in and the ump wanted nothing to do with it and the coach started throwing a fit. Truth is he should of given those girls at bats earlier. Shes only 11 but I forgot to remind her to thank the umpire afterward for calling a good game. That championship game in a few weeks that same ump may show up. Always play with respect

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles