Classless or part of the game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
They learned that from Alabama on tv lol.

It is actually not legal in NCAA and Alabama did not do it at the WS like they did all year at home.

And that is the reason I find Patty Murphy to be the college coach I can't stand. He smiles and laughs about it. He might be a good coach and I say might. But that's the reason I find him classless. Way does he need to resort to such behavior?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
ASA also has essentially the same rule.

We had a chronic issue with another team years ago. Despite many complaints to the TD the issue was never addressed. Back then there was no specific rule and the UIC said that if it got to the point that an umpire felt it was a problem they would address it. Needless to say when one of my parents who was sitting behind home plate let loose with a freon powered air horn during a pitch the umpire jumped about a foot in the air. He then made it abundantly clear that noisemakers of any kind were NOT to be used. We had a reasonably uneventful game after that.

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Classless.

Doing it to cheer is one thing. Doing it strictly to cause disruption to gain an advantage is bush. But I'm a little old school.

Jun 16, 2014
Columbus, OH
I believe that part of the game is to teach respect of the game to my players. The do's and don'ts....and as one of my players said "we should do it back to them" I told them no way because we have much more class than that and respect the game too much to stoop to their level. We just need to beat them with our pitching, defense and bats (not literally though :rolleyes:)

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
ASA also has essentially the same rule.

We had a chronic issue with another team years ago. Despite many complaints to the TD the issue was never addressed. Back then there was no specific rule and the UIC said that if it got to the point that an umpire felt it was a problem they would address it. Needless to say when one of my parents who was sitting behind home plate let loose with a freon powered air horn during a pitch the umpire jumped about a foot in the air. He then made it abundantly clear that noisemakers of any kind were NOT to be used. We had a reasonably uneventful game after that.

Great idea. We have an issue with cowbells in our area by a certain club. I will be buying an airhorn

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
I don't even like those stupid cheers the girls do. I wish my girls would stay silent and just do exactly as I say....yep...living in a dream world. I give it a classless vote as well.

Nov 15, 2013
I would like to know what your thoughts are on this:

Playing on a field that had a wooden roof over team bench where the front side (towards the field) has a wall that drops about 3 foot down form the top (probably to help shield the sun).

Opposing 14u team starts pounding on the wooden wall and screaming while pitcher starts her pitching motion...continues to pound between each pitch and would get louder each time the pitcher starts her pitch. This was so loud I was not able to hear what my assistant was saying next to me...let alone the girls on the field hear us. I look at ump and say "seriously?"

Next Inning, thumping on the wall starts again by opposing and the field ump tells the girls to stop and head coach just look at him and says nothing to his team and girls ignore ump all the while plate ump keeps on going on with the game, not calling time while his field ump is trying to get the other teams to quit pounding.

Next Inning girls stop pounding on wood...pick up balls and start pounding on fence and still screaming at the time of each pitch and in between. At this point I'm ready to pull my hair out.

Needless to say that it accomplished what they were trying to do, rattle my players as when they came off the field in the first inning they were annoyed and my third basemen stated she wanted to pick up a ball and throw it at the fence in front of their bench. We are a 13u Team...and yes, my girls need to be able to focus and not let it bother them. But come on, this is a supposed top organization in our state and I have never witnessed this type of tactic before and honestly this is an embarrassment to their organization! Talk to umps after the game and they state that this team has been an issue all day...I tell them its up to their discretion to stop it and they should have taken charge.

So I put this in the classless category. If you need to stoop to this level in order to get an upper hand...then there are obviously problems with your team if you need to resort to this. And this is a talented 14u team which really perplexes me.

checked_checkbox.png
Classless
checked_checkbox.png
Part of the Game

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp