Circle size

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2021
So what are pros/ cons of having a circle too small (8'). The fields where along of our tournaments are the circles are only 8' in all age groups. I've brought it to their attention but so far refuse to change it. I can't find any rules other than play on about fields. USSSa rules

Jan 22, 2011
Pitching circle should have an 8' radius or 16' diameter. Are they only doing an 8' diameter?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
The Cons are the pitching circle isn't the proper size so you've got about 25 square feet in which to kill the play or put the LBR on instead of about 200 square feet.

The Pros are it saves on chalk?

Jun 20, 2015
Cons? playing on an illegal field? screw it, our H to first is 75 and 3rd to home is 47. 2b is a sheet of plywood. foul lines? drunk chicken drew them. If whoever can't follow simple direction of 8' radius, 16' dia for pitching circle, what chance is there of getting harder directions correct?

Pros - first rate plan to make field crew look like a bunch of idiots.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So what are pros/ cons of having a circle too small (8'). The fields where along of our tournaments are the circles are only 8' in all age groups. I've brought it to their attention but so far refuse to change it. I can't find any rules other than play on about fields. USSSa rules
Well it is not the worst mistake on the field. However bringing up that it is incorrect and they refuse to change it that's pretty bad.

At least both teams have to deal with the same chalking distance.

Cons are it could throw off visual parameters of the field for both the pitcher and the hitters.

May 16, 2016
The umps will have to guesstimate when pitcher has ball in the virtual circle. The 8" diameter circle on field is irrelevant.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi