Chicken wing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2016
Hey guys, my dd is a 9u pitcher who has really gotten consistent at hitting her marks.. We have added a flip change to the mix, and she has really picked it up fast. The issue is, all of a sudden, she has started having trouble putting spin on the ball (she uses a bullet spin) and at the end of her pitch, she is losing her elbow out to the side. I am sure it is a mental thing from switching back and forth bettween the flip change, and her regular fast ball. I was hoping someone might have some advice on something to help us get back to good. She is still putting it where she wants it, I just hate to stray away from the correct form. Thanks for any help!

Heres a video..

Sep 29, 2014
Gotta fix video it's labeled private...but I'm already scared when you said 9U now incorporating flip change at this age just concentrating on form should be a full time endeavor

Sep 29, 2014
I really recommend going to the I/R in the classroom sticky thread in this forum.

Immerse yourself for a day or two or even a week or so and then come back and let us know what you think.

She really needs to learn how to throw the ball underhand instead of trying so hard to pitch it.

I could make recommendations but it would basically be regurgitating everything from the I/R in the classroom thread.

Apr 12, 2015
Oof, there is a lot more to be concerned about besides the chicken wings in the video.

I recommend DJ's advice. Dig into the IR threads and get her learning how to throw underhand.

My piece of advice is don't be results orientated. You mentioned that she is doing well hitting her spots, etc. But she is doing so with the wrong mechanics. Get the proper mechanics sorted out, then worry about whether she can hit her spots or not.

As has been said in your other thread, pitching is a marathon, not a sprint. If she continues on with her current mechanics she might be an effective 100 pitcher, possibly an OK 12U pitcher, but won'the get much further than that.

Give her a tarp about 15 feet in front of her and let her throw into that over and over again with the emphasis on throwing underhand the correct way. This will serve her much better in the long run.

Jan 22, 2011
Definitely dig into the IR threads and fix those mechanics. My DD is 10yo and throwing 47-49, but with poor mechanics and is currently sitting out with tightness in the back and neck.

Feb 7, 2013
Chicken winging it is a common problem. She is muscling the pitch instead of being loose and whippy. I second having her do the drills in the IR in the Classroom thread.

Also, a) Be careful with the locked front leg. She should have some bend in the plant (stride) leg; b) she tends to lean forward instead of staying back.

Good luck, its a marathon...

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Welcome to the board. Check out the sticky posts and feel free to ask questions. There are a lot of good information from some quality instructors here.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You are teaching your DD incorrectly. She is trying to do a "hello elbow" pitch, which is wrong. She needs to be doing IR (internal rotation).

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Best wings to be had are in buffalo... ;)

Her attempt at a follow through is so forced... in that she's trying to redirect the path of the hand. It wants to head in the same direction the ball is going... and instead she's trying to pull off a snapping move upward.

You need to allow the hand to continue forward unabated... allow it to decelerate itself forward. We call this Frenchman's Kiss position. Allow the hand to continue FORWARD palm down.

Read the I/R stickies. best bathroom book ever written... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24