Chemistry?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 5, 2008
Quick question for coaches - do you take chemistry into consideration when making your line-up & chhosing your starters?

Jan 15, 2009
No. But I do take chemistry into account when looking to choose kids for a team. One exception might be pitcher catcher match ups. That almost counts as a skill set for a catcher though. Usually the catcher that can keep one pitcher happy will keep all the pitchers happy. Biggest arm doesn't equal Best catcher, ability to get the most out of a pitcher is part skill/part art/part personality and IMO the #1 job of the catcher.

May 5, 2008
SnocatzDad said:
Biggest arm doesn't equal Best catcher, ability to get the most out of a pitcher is part skill/part art/part personality and IMO the #1 job of the catcher.

I totally agree. Catching is definitely more than a strong arm!

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Chemistry is a definite thing on our teams. On a prior team, I always hit behind one of the girls. We worked well together, her getting on and me knocking her in or bunting her over. Catching is definitely a big one. Chemistry has a lot to do with it, but no matter how much chemistry there is--if there isn't anything happening there then it won't work!

May 2, 2010
from the perspective of a former catcher as well as a coach...... and definitely from the perspective of a parent....

it's not all about the arm ~ although an arm is a must.

However ~ it is NOT the catchers job to 'keep the pitcher happy'. It's the catchers job to call the game, stop the ball, throw runners out ~ and get DIRTY!! :) If she does that.... the pitcher had BETTER be happy.... or you need a different pitcher!
I believe that pitchers are now being groomed to THINK they are more important than anyone else on the field. Granted, strong pitching is critical ~ but by allowing these girls to believe and act as though their shorts don't stick ~ you're not (in my opinion) doing her any favors. She is just another player on a team, playing a team sport.

<< okay - stepping down off the box now >>

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The following is relevant to more competitive, higher level SB - applicable beginning at U14 travel maybe?

IMO, the caticher's most important job is to maximize the effectiveness of the pitcher- this routinely involves standard catching skills (i.e., calling pitches, receiving, blocking, throwing out runners, coordinating the defense, and leading by example). However, the most valuable catchers develop into on-field personal pitching handlers and temporarily replace the pitcher's regular support entourage (parents, pitching coach, and head coach) that is relegated to the sidelines during play. After a catcher has earned the pitchers trust and confidence, they can help optimize the pitchers effectiveness by understanding when its appropriate to be quiet, advise, encourage, congratulate, cajole, coddle, humor, berate, or kick the pitcher in the butt (sometimes all in the same game!) to get the best out of each pitcher.

Let's face it, SB is pitcher-centric. It's the coach's job to make sure the pitcher understands her team role and responsibilities. But once the game starts, and the pitcher is in the circle, its up to the catcher to do whatever is necessary to help the pitcher be as effective as possible and that usually means keepiing her happy!

A slightly different take from another former C, SB coach, and father of a 16U DD catcher - Greenmonsters

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish