Checking Birth Certs at tourney

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
In the tournaments we play in photo identification was required along with the birth certificate. Most girls had school ID's.

I don't think I have ever protested a players age.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
A few years ago, in a low-level competitive 12U finals game, we ran into a team with several players who looked like they drove themselves to the ballpark. What caught my attention after the game was that many of them were on a 14U roster in the same organization. I didn't do anything about it, but someone else also suspected a problem, and that team was immediately bumped up in classification.

In most places, the FP community is small enough that if you try to slip a player into a lineup where they don't belong, chances are SOMEONE who actually knows the player will notice. A team in my area got thrown out two different tournaments for using an ineligible player. That team is no longer a going concern.

Amazing how much personal integrity some are willing to throw in the dumpster for the chance to win some shiny plastic.

Jul 25, 2015
If someone is going to cheat, more than likely what you are going to see is a coach building a new team with upper tier girls and getting into one of the many "WS / Nationals / We Have 8 Teams Coming and Are going to Call it a World Series" events that are semi-local to them and playing down in what their true classification is or should be... The girls will likely all be "age appropriate" for the event but if you wanted to get technical were probably ineligible to play in the "C" classification because they played on an "A" classification all season.... In most of the national organizations this is a no no but they normally turn their head the other way because a team shows up and has the entry fee in hand... Then they proceed to beat the field by no less than 15 runs and claim the title of "Podunk WS Champions"...

Not knocking the "Podunk WS's" of the world... They have their place in the grand scheme of softball...

Feb 3, 2016
Here in KS it's 100 to protest. USSSA doesn't seem to require pictures to go with the birth certificates. As long as paperwork is turned in they don't care who takes the field around here.
Video and pictures need to be taken to catch dirty teams. Seems to happen more often than you think. In a tournament this weekend we had several new players joining two of the teams we played. When the head coach of the opposing team is handing out Jerseys in tje dugout seems to sit wrong with most folks.

Jun 12, 2015
Another SB mom told me about a tournament they played in once. It was a big one in another state IIRC. There was a coach there who was challenging teams left and right. Only their coach hadn't brought all the birth certificates so it worked. He had a girl or two there was no proof for. None of them looked bigger/older, the guy challenged many teams that weekend. He just got lucky on some, I guess playing the odds of coaches not being organized. Though our coach has the BCs I also keep a copy of DD's on my phone as a PDF. I don't know if it would be accepted or not, but they take copies so I don't see why a color scan wouldn't be just as good if not better.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Here in KS it's 100 to protest. USSSA doesn't seem to require pictures to go with the birth certificates. As long as paperwork is turned in they don't care who takes the field around here.
Video and pictures need to be taken to catch dirty teams. Seems to happen more often than you think. In a tournament this weekend we had several new players joining two of the teams we played. When the head coach of the opposing team is handing out Jerseys in tje dugout seems to sit wrong with most folks.

Yeah...seeing a team in a bunch of outfits that don't match is typically a dead giveaway that something is up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez