Character vs talent (10u TB)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I would take 12 copies of the girl you described to put together a 10U team over a team full of young kids who already think they're superstars.

I understand your sentiment, but to me, it's just two different challenges. Both can be enjoyable, depending on your cup of tea. I'd love to coach a group of 12 that have the best attitudes, but I could also be talked into coaching a group of very talented but 'I'm a superstar' players at this age. Teach one group the right skills; teach the other group the right attitude. If it's 10U, they've all got something to learn.

What I don't want is a group of 12 whose parents think they are superstars. :)

Apr 9, 2012
We always pick up one "project girl" that has the heart and will but needs the coaching. It usually turns out shes a superstar who needed a bit of guidance.

Got a girl on a 12U team that hadnt played in years due to battle with cancer but had all the heart in the world. Didnt know how to quit. 6 short months later and she is an awesome teammate, an inspiration to all, and one hell of a softball player.......

Youd kick yourself if you never tried to help this girl

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
I would take 12 copies of the girl you described to put together a 10U team over a team full of young kids who already think they're superstars. A team full of coachable kids with a love for the game, great hustle, and no fear will be a sponge for game skills and strategy and will likely far overachieve the team of kids who think they know it all already.

That said, I think your rationale is totally valid. If she won't get playing time, your team is not the right one for her.

I'd take this girl, or 12 girls any day......as long as all the parents are on board with it being a "project" year. You're not going to win right off the bat, but at that age, you can do so much with a group of kids with great attitudes!!

But, as is said, if you don't think you'll play her then don't take her. Personally at 10U I believe everyone should have equal playing time....maybe the lesser talented ones with the great attitude get even a little more simply because of the type of person. I'm pretty sure there's more than a couple of girls playing college ball that weren't studs at 10U but really loved the game and had someone that tought them what they needed to succeed.

My .02

The operative word here is "coach." If you think she has the skill to be a player then pick her up and coach her into a player. If you don't, somebody else will and you may be kicking yourself in the backside for years to come if she terrorizes your team. On top of that, coaching is all about developing kids - it would make me feel pretty dang good to know I took a girl like that, made her a good player who loves the game. You could be grooming a kid who winds up playing in the WCWS because of what you do for her now. Maybe far fetched, but great players have to get a start somewhere.

Good luck.

May 23, 2010
Michigan
I keep her if you can committ to playing her in games a reasonable amount of innings, if her parents committ to working with her between lessons and if she can maintain a good attitude. Plus, the thing is that 10u is still very much developmental and how kids pan out as players is still unknown.

Years ago on my DD's 10u team (I was not the coach) we had a range of players: one "superstar", one kid with a great work ethic, great parents, and very litttle talent as she rarely played, and the other 10 were in the middle.

Fast forward 7 years, and the "superstar" no longer plays, many of those in the middle remained there in the middle, and the little girl with seemingly little talent or size, is the only D1 recruit from that 10u team. She worked hard, her dad worked hard, and her good attitude paid off. No, she is not my DD.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I did just this coming out of winter. I told her parents we would consider her a developmental player as she was a ways behind the others. She wold play slightly less then others in the spring (maybe sitting in last bracket games at the end of an event) but she would play and she would practice everything with the group and she would learn. I even allowed the to pay slightly lower fees as a gesture of good faith to the long term process they were about to embark on. We expected it to be 1 year before she was up to speed....It is now been 5 months and she is Markedly better and a very active part of our squad. The players like her being on the team and more over....She fits. Bottom line...Never pass an opportunity up. Make it work somehow and see what happens. After seeing people leave us for various odd reasons it is nice to see a player step up, work hard, listen well and do well. You to can do this Momo...I have complete faith in you. Besides teaching is still so much fun at 10U and this gives you a chance to go back to your roots in TB. I have spent 3-4 one on one sessions with her but it has been worth it for me as a coach to invest the time and see her grow. Good luck with whatever you choose.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I'd take this girl, or 12 girls any day......as long as all the parents are on board with it being a "project" year. You're not going to win right off the bat, but at that age, you can do so much with a group of kids with great attitudes!!

Loved this...Fantastic words to always keep in perspective.

Mar 31, 2012
I would take her,you can make a player out of her.I think after reading your post and other post you have writen.You are a good coach,I know,I have never met you or seen any team that you have coached,but it seems to me that you have a lot to offer to the game for these young ladies.Good luck and let us know what you decide.

as above: concur

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG