Chanting in the Dugout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I have seen games where the girls were exhausted and had lost thier voices from the chanting and jumping around in the dugout. Do I like the chanting, sure within reason. I tell my teams that we are not in a who can scream the loudest contest, its a softball game the goal is to win the game. Chanting is fine, screaming the chants, not so much.

A couple of years at the end of season party we did a night time glow stick wiffle ball game, girls against the parents. It was funny hearing the parents start up a chant when we were batting, the girls actually were a little creeped out by it.

BTW I highly recommend the glow in the dark wiffle ball game. It was some of the most fun we have ever had with softball.

Apr 1, 2010
The cheers drive DH crazy; he doesn't like loud or shrill noises. I like the cheers, but I have to admit, when we got home last night after our first tournament of the fall, my ears were ringing and my head was throbbing. My ears are still popping now and then today. I guess I'm out of practice as a spectator. :-D

By the way, that glow in the dark wiffle game sounds like a blast!

Mar 31, 2011
Chanting - yes, cow bell (from the fans) -no. Got my first taste of the cow bell this weekend. I still have a headache.
I remember the plastic clappers. Oh the noise. Only lasted one season, thankfully. It really did rattle the Pitchers though.

Jul 28, 2008
I've quieted down the cheers on a few occasions when I need to talk and to someone or the team and I can't be heard. I'll then give them the go ahead when I'm finished to fire it back up. You have to be careful for what you wish for.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
If there is someting verbal, I usually walk halfway down or just talk loud!! Chants are cool...lets me know the girls are into the game

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I suspect I'm in the minority and may be a cheer agnostic. While the chants and cheers may show team spirit, when its non-stop, I can't help but think that it takes the girls' focus away from carefully watching and comprehending the subtle and not so subtle points of the game. Stop them in the middle of a cheer and how many will know the count, the number of outs, or even the game score? If they're there to play and cheering is a small part of it, I can live with it, but when it seems that they're more interested in cheering than playing, its a problem IMO.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I think it's a big part of what makes fastpitch so great for the girls although I like to coach the base farthest away from our dugout so I don't have to endure the full blast.

Apr 14, 2011
I don't mind the cheers and chanting....too much. I just don't think it accomplishes what the girls want sometime. We were at a tournament a couple weekends ago where the team in the dugout was making the worst noise while the pitcher was pitching. I think the intention was to distract the pitcher, however I think it distracted their own batters more!

Jan 31, 2011
I love the cheers mainly because the girls love it. I do however, remind them you need to cheer on your own team and not do negative stuff to the other team (especially the pitcher). Otherwise, let it rip!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd