Change UP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2010
My daughter throws a palm ball change up, not a reverse handed change up. She has a variety of success. Some days its deadly, some days its weak. Can anyone give a few drills for more consistence?
Drills we do
1/2 distance T's / 3/4 K's / Full mound
we go fast ball change up fast ball change up

Anything else

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
How old is your daughter? The palm ball is actually a drop ball pitch and is difficult for younger pitchers to master and reach the plate. It must be released way out in front and you basically open your hand and PUSH it towards your target with the fingers wide open and pointing down, you push it with your palm. It will have a ton of down spin when done correctly. It is released with the arm straight after giving it that final push forward. It is extremely deceptive.

sneaky softball pitching.com

CT-TEXAS.COM

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2010
thank you so much! She is 13 and has a pitching coach... We have some good success, but she can't throw to a location and is hot and then cold. I'm looking for a few more drills. We've tried alot of stuff. I'm thinking of placing a bucket 15 feet in front and due T's. Then move back and due K's from 35 feet. Try and hit the bucket but don't knock it over. Our coach is great and says the key is deep palm, stiff wrist and thumb up. I've tried more of a knuckle change from the same position, but her hands are still to small. I may also try stiff fingers instead of stiff wrist. If you have stiff fingers you can't flick your wrist. Any more thoughts is really appreciated.

Jan 20, 2010
We warm up with our change up and we warm down with the change up, every practice. I know your looking for more drills , but try and do the ones you do now perfect. Five feet , ten feet, on back. Add in circle when you get so far back. Perfection is the key (at any distance). We mainly throw knuckleballs , had a coach in 18u ask ump. if it was legal for a ball to have no spin. If you cant hit it complain to blue about it. lol

Jul 27, 2010
Great suggestion. We will continue to work to that end. Best part is she loves to pitch. When you love what you do anything is possible.
I would love the Knuckle. If I could get her to throw the knuckle like you daughter, that is a real difference maker. Its one thing to throw a change up, but when a batter sees no spin it freeks them out. The umpires love it and give you anything close. They just admire the pitch itself :) We've mess around with it alot. Full knuckle, 1 knuckle, but I'm afraid her hand is just to small. The other problem is that when you have success with a palm ball its hard to try new things..... Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish