Change Up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2015
My little one(9year old) is working on a change up. I'm asking her to connect her thumb and index finger and for her to put her middle finger, ring finger and pinkie on the laces. I'm telling her to shove the ball into her palm and grip tightly and to throw like a fastball. You can tell that the pitch is slower than her fastball.
Please tell me if I am taking her down the right path.

Thanks in advance for yalls help.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
My little one(9year old) is working on a change up.

Did anyone else read this "my little one year old?" I was stunned for a hot minute.

:::::heading to the kitchen for more coffee:::::::

Someone else will be better equipped to address your actual question. :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Grip alone doesn't necessarily make it a change up.... maybe an off speed. What you've described is commonly referred to as a circle change. Whats most important is, what is she doing mechanically within her arm between 9:00 and release?
Getting the ball deep into the palm will eliminate some finger snap, and could reduce speeds by a few mph, which is effective, and continue to do that, but call it off speed and not a true change up.
As far as mechanics go, by simply rotating the arm on the down swing of the circle so that the ball is leading the elbow and the fingers are on the outside of the ball and not behind it...this will negate all whip and produce a pushing motion, the speed will be reduced by 25-30% instantly. Note: speed UP the arm circle when doing this to keep the deception factor as her priority! Keep all other mechanics identical as her heat. Again, DO NOT SLOW DOWN THE ARM OR LEAN FORWARD!!! SPEED UP THE CIRCLE!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01