Catching lesson in Southern California

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2014
Ca
My DD is just moving to 10u. She has been catching since last winterball and loves it. However she really doesn't get much in the way of practice. Can anyone recommend anyone for catching lessons. We are in the Chino Hills/Corona area.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As a supplement to hooking up with WM for some 1-on-1 guidance, get a copy of the instructional DVD from New England Catching Camp. It is the "gold standard" for catching instruction, and is an extremely valuable resource.

The New England Catching Camp

Also...Welcome to DFP. Enjoy the ride! :)

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Jen schroeder is the best!
jen-schro

My first reaction in seeing Jen Schro's workouts was that her rapid-fire drills aren't realistic to what a catcher actually does in a game situation. There isn't one situation EVER where a catcher will have to block pitches in rapid-fire order. Because of this, I was initially turned off by her methods. However, as I've continued to watch the videos of her training sessions, and thinking about the skills being developed, I think there is some benefit. Rapid-fire drills build quick reflexes and fitness, which are critical to playing the position well. I have introduced some rapid-fire blocking work to my DD's routine, and am seeing some benefits (she also enjoys the drills).

The one thing I still see lacking in Jen Schro's work, however, is reinforcing proper form (maybe she does, and it's just not on the videos I've seen). Practicing incorrect movements leads to repeating those movements in game situations. Reinforcing proper form is critical. If you can't do it right slow, you'll never do it fast. With my DD, when doing a set of rapid-fire blocks, if her form is off (usually an unprotected throwing hand), we stop immediately, reinforce the correct movement at a slower speed, and then start the set over again.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
My first reaction in seeing Jen Schro's workouts was that her rapid-fire drills aren't realistic to what a catcher actually does in a game situation. There isn't one situation EVER where a catcher will have to block pitches in rapid-fire order. Because of this, I was initially turned off by her methods. However, as I've continued to watch the videos of her training sessions, and thinking about the skills being developed, I think there is some benefit. Rapid-fire drills build quick reflexes and fitness, which are critical to playing the position well. I have introduced some rapid-fire blocking work to my DD's routine, and am seeing some benefits (she also enjoys the drills).

The one thing I still see lacking in Jen Schro's work, however, is reinforcing proper form (maybe she does, and it's just not on the videos I've seen). Practicing incorrect movements leads to repeating those movements in game situations. Reinforcing proper form is critical. If you can't do it right slow, you'll never do it fast. With my DD, when doing a set of rapid-fire blocks, if her form is off (usually an unprotected throwing hand), we stop immediately, reinforce the correct movement at a slower speed, and then start the set over again.

IMO, most rapid fire drills (i.e., blocking, hitting), although sometimes fun, are actually counterproductive because they typically compromise proper technique. Use your practice time to emphasize quality over quantity and it inevitably will carry over to game play sooner and more consistently.

EF - you already made this case in your own post! Don't compromise!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207