Catching for lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
DD will be catching for a very good pitcher that's taking lessons soon and I was wondering the best way for her to take advantage of that. The pitcher has a lot of movement so I think this will be great for DD. These are paid lessons by the pitcher and I will probably be driving DD because of the distance. I'm planning on keeping my mouth shut if they allow me to watch but was wondering how to get the most out of this. Should she just focus on framing technique, maybe some in relaxed, some in ready stance; tell her to block everything? I just don't want to drive an hour for her to just "catch the ball." Any suggestions?
Oh, one more thing...DD gets into her ready stance every time the pitcher throws a change-up... I noticed it the other day and she said because it's easier to block. Is this alright if she waits to pop into that position so she doesn't give off what the pitch might be?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD catches for a current D1 and a couple pitchers committed to D1s. She is relaxed but blocks everything, sets up for the pitch and gives feedback to the coach when asked.

I don't have to drive DD anymore to these. They pick her up and bring her home. I get a kick out of how journeyman it all seems. These are kids who take it seriously and work hard at their craft and often there is no coach.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
I've watched a lot of girls catching during warm ups etc... and they don't block...seems like a great time to practice blocking.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
What level are you talking about and do they have full gear on? Plus I also think it depends on the kid. Some catchers don't want anything behind them.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Someone should remind them that coaches watch all the time, not just game time. Poor or lackadaisical warms up don't reflect well on one's work ethic. (do we still use that word? With historical use in Bull Durham, I might us lollygag any minute.)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Sounds like a good opportunity to work on getting better and develop greater stamina! My advice would be to use the runner's on stance/be prepared to block until she needs a rest, then use the no runners on stance.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Someone should remind them that coaches watch all the time, not just game time. Poor or lackadaisical warms up don't reflect well on one's work ethic. (do we still use that word? With historical use in Bull Durham, I might us lollygag any minute.)

Lollygagging is no good, but candlesticks are always good.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My niece makes the most of it and since she knows what I am teaching she provides great feedback to both me and the pitcher during a lesson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell