Catcher's mitt for a 10 y/o going to travel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2015
Arcadia, CA
My 10 y/o DD is making the move from Rec. to Travel and I am looking for good mitt for the transition. She was using the RAWLINGS CHAMPION FP CM 34IN for Rec. I am looking for a good quality mitt she could use for a couple years. Also she is currently using an 11" but will go to a 12" next year so I am looking for something she can use with both sizes. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Lots of good choices out there, and some of it comes down to personal preference.

My 11yo DD is currently using an Akadema AAR34, and loves it, but it will need to be replaced sometime in the next 6 months or so. Many people absolutely LOVE the Vinci mitts, and I would certainly consider them to be a long-term consideration. Worth's Liberty Advanced series is also very good, as are Nokona, the upper-end models from Mizuno, and the Wilson A2000.

Sep 15, 2011
May 23, 2015
I went through this exact same thing 3 months ago. I caught for many years for Wilson. They treated me incredibly well, so I tried to repay the favor and buy the new A2000. The geometry for the finger stalls are incredibly screwed up. Someone in engineering dropped the ball in a big way. It was so bad that I photographed three employees and my daughter trying to get their hand in the glove

My next allegiance is to Nokona because it's made in the USA and I've used their gloves for years. We picked up a banana tan BTF3250 with a closed back. It's an incredible glove. Nokonas are built like tanks and will never let you down

Apr 28, 2014
My DD is a pitcher not a catcher but I would highly recommend Vinci. I had an issue with DD's glove and they took amazing care of us.

Jul 24, 2015
Vincci fortus!!! My 9 year old loves hers, plays travel ball with it. Takes some diligent break in, but worth it. I did lots of research and she tried many different gloves. My opinion best performance, quality and protection you can get and it's way cheaper then many other mitts.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
As others have said, for the money, you can't beat a Vinci. However, due to the thick padding, it will take a long time to properly break-in and many girls of that age lose confidence in it since they haven't perfected their receiving skills and have a lot of bounce outs. I haven't seen the new Fortus series which supposedly alleviates these issues so I would take a serious look at these before anything else if I had a younger catcher now.

If for some reason your DD doesn't like it, I would recommend the All-Star CMW400. It's a 33" mitt with a very deep pocket that will allow it to be used for both the 11" and 12" ball. DD got one last season and absolutely loves it. She plays 16U TB. It had a fairly easy break-in and has endured the last HS season and TB season well. I look for it to last through the next 2 years of HS and TB seasons without a problem. One of my 11U catchers last year, who had a small hand purchased one and she also loves it since it cinched down to fit her hand very nicely.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
The Fortus 32.5" fastpitch mitt is an excellent choice (To me just about the only choice) for catchers 8-10 (or older playing at rec, C or B levels.) The leather is much softer than Vinci's other gloves as are the felts. It still has the thickest palm of any glove but we are seeing typical break in being about 2 weeks so far. I do some initial work with the glove and it can be used right away by most younger catchers. Vinci now offers this leather in brown/black, red/black, blue/black
xctmp9cXdzR.jpgxctmpn7xJhO.jpgxctmpRMFA2U.jpg

Mar 21, 2013
The main thing to watch out for with the younger ages is the hand well sizes. Most girls at the ripe old age of 10 still have pretty small hands. Many of the higher quality gloves have larger hand wells for older girls and bigger hands. My daughter likes the Worth Keilani Rickets series.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00