Easton Pro-X Catcher's Helmet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Everybody has their favorites. I see Softball.com is pushing the Force 3 you mentioned. Slugger also made a good set in series 5 & 7. That was our 1st set.
I’m more concerned with cushioning and shock absorption than how mask is mounted. I guess looks count especially with girls but I’ll take substance over style in terms of protection.

Cage mounting point locations are not about style and ALL about substance. Cage mounts at the forehead transmit impact energy from hits to the cage directly to the forehead area. All-Star/UA, Wilson Pro Stock, and Easton Pro-X eliminate the forehead mounts which moves those forces away from the forehead. Yes, padding is also very important, and some is better than others. The Easton Prowess/M-series is not good - too much rigid EPS, not enough absorption. The Easton Pro-X is a massive improvement in this area.

Personally, I think the LS stuff has always been sub-par.

Apr 28, 2019
Cage mounting point locations are not about style and ALL about substance. Cage mounts at the forehead transmit impact energy from hits to the cage directly to the forehead area. All-Star/UA, Wilson Pro Stock, and Easton Pro-X eliminate the forehead mounts which moves those forces away from the forehead. Yes, padding is also very important, and some is better than others. The Easton Prowess/M-series is not good - too much rigid EPS, not enough absorption. The Easton Pro-X is a massive improvement in this area.

Personally, I think the LS stuff has always been sub-par.
They get good reviews.

Apr 28, 2019
I can recall a few not-so-good reviews by DFP'ers. A 12U teammate of my DD had a LS set I got the opportunity to see up close. I was not impressed with any of it.
What do you go by? Other than personal experience and top 10 reviews I haven’t found much info out there.
Rawlings seem to be popular in MLB and what maybe Wilson in fastpitch.
Obviously head protection is of utmost importance but I rarely see any direct impact on catchers helmets. It only takes one I get that I saw one a few weeks back can’t remember team playing Yanks and he took a foul ball right directly off the mask.
Brought him to his knees and ump gave him extra time to shake off the cobwebs. Orioles catcher maybe.
My daughter that catches took a 55mph right to the face wearing the Prowess helmet and it didn’t phase her at all. Just yelled she wasn’t ready. Sister was the pitcher of course.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What do you go by? Other than personal experience and top 10 reviews I haven’t found much info out there.
Rawlings seem to be popular in MLB and what maybe Wilson in fastpitch.
Obviously head protection is of utmost importance but I rarely see any direct impact on catchers helmets. It only takes one I get that I saw one a few weeks back can’t remember team playing Yanks and he took a foul ball right directly off the mask.
Brought him to his knees and ump gave him extra time to shake off the cobwebs. Orioles catcher maybe.
My daughter that catches took a 55mph right to the face wearing the Prowess helmet and it didn’t phase her at all. Just yelled she wasn’t ready. Sister was the pitcher of course.

I go a lot by what I see as someone who has spent a fair amount of time looking at things pretty in-depth regarding the materials of construction and how things are put together in order to re-direct and/or absorb impact forces.

These are the events that motivated me to dig deep into the topic of catcher helmet construction...

Both of these resulted in concussions that kept my DD out of action for multiple weeks. Black helmet - Easton Mako II, unmodified. Red helmet, Easton M-10, unmodified.

The Prowess helmet is nearly identical to the M-10. The Mako II has the same shell and rigid EPS layer as the Prowess/M-series helmets, but the cage is different, and it includes slightly-flexible plastic mounting clips (a nod to reducing impact energy transmitted between cage and shell, but not a significant improvement).

This past weekend, my DD took another foul ball off her mask while wearing the Easton Pro-X. She commented afterwards that it was a significant improvement over her previous Easton helmets. She continued to play with no issues.

EDIT: MB22 - I hope your DD continues to play C without any concussion issues (or any other injuries). I encourage you to keep providing her excellent protection for her head. I'm just sharing what my experience has been, how I'm seeing things related to the topic, and what I've learned on my journey. If your opinion is different, that's just fine.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2016
Texas
I go by what I have observed and what other DFP'ers report here. Head protection IS of the UTMOST importance, period. If there's a rumor about a brand of helmet, I steer clear of it. I haven't let my daughter near an Easton helmet, and I've never seen an LS helmet that would even pass the eye test. Thankfully, she's very pleased at how her Wilson's have always fit. Please, have you own opinions and go by what you believe to be best for your DD. That's what I'm going to do, and I don't care what's fair or biased or what have you. I'm trying to make the most informed decisions I can to protect that precious head that I love so much. So if someone makes an argument I agree with about where clips are supposed to be placed, or about what kind of padding is used, I'm in.

And don't fool yourself that catchers don't get concussions. Don't believe that MLB makes equipment decisions based on player safety, and don't think that the companies that build and sell this stuff are looking out for your DD's best interest. There's a lot of greed and arrogance running the equipment market these days, and it's buyer beware.

May 28, 2019
DD's squad bought the Boombah gear for her. Any opinions about their helmet specifically as it relates to safety? Thankfully i don't think she's been hit in the head yet.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
DD's squad bought the Boombah gear for her. Any opinions about their helmet specifically as it relates to safety? Thankfully i don't think she's been hit in the head yet.

I have't had a Boombah helmet in my hands to see how the padding is, but looking at the pics, I see the same issue I continue to point at - cage mounting. The two rigid mounting points at the forehead means that an impact to the cage will transmit that impact energy into those locations. Good padding will help absorb that energy, but it's a better design to eliminate those mounting points, and re-route that energy to the side of the shell, away from the front of the head.

Shortly before we got the Easton Pro-X, I made some modifications to her Easton Mako II. I eliminated the forehead cage mounts...

I'm not sure if that kind of mod is workable on the Boombah, or whether it's something you feel comfortable doing.

ArmyStrong

Going broke on softball
Sep 14, 2014
Pacific NW
The Easton Pro-X catcher's helmet is a very nice improvement. Prior to it making its way onto the scene, we went with a different alternative worth considering:

DD has the Force 3 Defender Hockey Style Mask V2. I got it for her because of the shock suspension system and the extended cage to protect the forehead. DD has been using this helmet throughout spring tournaments and school ball.

Pros:
  • The shock suspension system works like a parent's dream! While everyone is worrying about the padding saving their athlete's brain, IMO the suspension provides the most shock relief. You can actually hear the difference when there's a foul tip to the center of the mask. Instead of hearing a crack, you can hear the springs at work. DD swears it makes a big difference.
  • IMO, the extended cage to protect the forehead should be included in all catcher helmet designs. Works very well with the shock suspension system.
  • DD loves the helmet because the mask design results in a much wider field of vision. She says she doesn't feel claustrophobic in this helmet and likes how it's easier to see the runner on first trying to steal second.
Cons:
  • The helmet is heavier than most. Just like in the army with their Kevlar helmets, if there's no other choice, you adapt and overcome. DD got used to the weight and now thinks nothing of it. (It helps when her previous helmet was very old and heavy as well.)
  • The chin cup is huuuuge! We wrote Force 3 Pro Gear, and they shipped us a smaller chin cup. Fit much better. Thanks to the Force 3 Customer Service. Top notch!
  • The velcro strips holding the chin cup to the mask doesn't stay on. I eventually removed the strips and replaced with industrial strength velcro with industrial strength adhesive. I'm afraid the chin cup will never come off now.
  • The helmet looks odd at first with the cage sticking out so much. Trust me on this: Looks odd when you're in the family room trying this on, but when you get in a game, nobody cares, except the ones who are wondering what kind of mask that is.
If you're keeping count, I've listed more cons than pros, but qualitatively, the pros significantly outweigh the cons. 4 out of 5 stars. If it dies due to wear and tear, DD will probably buy another. And if stolen, DD will probably hunt down the perp and steal it back and lecture the perp on life choices.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28