Easton Pro-X Catcher's Helmet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Thanks. I appreciate your answer. For some reason I thought they both had that. That clears it up. Her Allstar one kind of wiggles on her head and no matter how we adjust it it still does it. The Pro-X she tried fit like a glove, no wiggle, could see better out of it, and could talk with the mask on better.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks. I appreciate your answer. For some reason I thought they both had that. That clears it up. Her Allstar one kind of wiggles on her head and no matter how we adjust it it still does it. The Pro-X she tried fit like a glove, no wiggle, could see better out of it, and could talk with the mask on better.

That's a winning combination. My DD likes hers a lot. One of her teammates got one recently, too. She also likes it.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
Pro-X, Elite-X, Prowess (fastpitch), Mako II (baseball).....and this list doesn't include the lower end of the Easton line up! I'm really glad the advancements in technology, design and safety are coming along with these lids. DD has a basically brand new Mako II and a slightly used Prowess, she likes both of them. Anyone in the market? I'm a fan of the new materials finally being used in the Pro-X. Knowing that these better helmets are out and getting overall good reviews, I'd never forgive myself if DD took a hit and caused damage that could have been prevented. This is a completely different decision than a new bat!! ;-)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Pro-X, Elite-X, Prowess (fastpitch), Mako II (baseball).....and this list doesn't include the lower end of the Easton line up! I'm really glad the advancements in technology, design and safety are coming along with these lids. DD has a basically brand new Mako II and a slightly used Prowess, she likes both of them. Anyone in the market? I'm a fan of the new materials finally being used in the Pro-X. Knowing that these better helmets are out and getting overall good reviews, I'd never forgive myself if DD took a hit and caused damage that could have been prevented. This is a completely different decision than a new bat!! ;-)

The Pro-X and Elite-X are SIGNIFICANT improvements over the Mako II/Prowess/M-series generation.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
Thanks so much for all the reviews you do on these helmets, Eric. I read each one that pops up here on the forums. The catcher's helmet is such an important piece of equipment. We won't even look at one that has a bad reputation, rumored or proven. It's a good thing that Easton is catching up, but frankly, shame on them for taking this long to do it.

I worry for all the girls out there playing in lower line helmets. I'm looking at big companies(Wilson Rawlings) that can still produce reasonably priced gear without forehead mounts, and with better padding configurations before they stuff them in a box set and ship them off to unwitting parents who trust that their child will be protected.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
The Pro-X and Elite-X are SIGNIFICANT improvements over the Mako II/Prowess/M-series generation.
Dammit Jim! Anyone want to buy a couple of near perfect Easton helmets? Matte black Mako II (like brand new) and a Blue/Gray Prowess (6 months old, still in great condition). DD doesn't toss the helmet off on every pop up either...

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Eric - what are your thoughts regarding the cage mounts on the new Pro-X, I haven't handled one personally yet and it's hard to tell from the pics and description what if anything they are using to absorb and distribute impacts? Seems like they made a bigger deal about that with the Mako II. Still like the shock mounts used on the old Wilson Shock FX....

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric - what are your thoughts regarding the cage mounts on the new Pro-X, I haven't handled one personally yet and it's hard to tell from the pics and description what if anything they are using to absorb and distribute impacts? Seems like they made a bigger deal about that with the Mako II. Still like the shock mounts used on the old Wilson Shock FX....

This is one area I think can still be improved. The cage is rigidly attached to the shell, instead of having some resiliency. This is one area that the All-Star helmet has an advantage. Unfortunately, the design of the Pro-X doesn't allow for any simple mods to improve this area. That said, the mounts are in locations where force will not be directly applied to the front of the head, which is (possibly) the most important feature of all. The Mako II included plastic clips that offered some resiliency, but still had the flaw of forehead mounting points.

Agree about the Wilson...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802