Catchers Gear - replacement time (again)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Bump.....anyone fall in love with any of the new gear?

I want to check out the new Easton Mako stuff a little closer. I haven't been impressed with it in the past, but it looks like they may have redesigned it a bit.

Jen Schroeder commented recently that EVERY girl who has come into her facility with the new Wilson gear (mostly girls who are required to wear it due to sponsorship deals) absolutely hates it. As far as I can tell, Wilson is not making anything softball-specific, so girls are using baseball gear. It also seems that the excellent design of the ProMotion chest protector has been abandoned. Wilson failed (again).

Feb 12, 2014
I want to check out the new Easton Mako stuff a little closer. I haven't been impressed with it in the past, but it looks like they may have redesigned it a bit.

Jen Schroeder commented recently that EVERY girl who has come into her facility with the new Wilson gear (mostly girls who are required to wear it due to sponsorship deals) absolutely hates it. As far as I can tell, Wilson is not making anything softball-specific, so girls are using baseball gear. It also seems that the excellent design of the ProMotion chest protector has been abandoned. Wilson failed (again).

I've seen a few college catchers with the new Wilson chest protector and they are swimming in it. It is not fitted properly at all. I thought Wilson's fastpitch gear was the absolute best on the market, I wonder what made them abandon it completely.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Well, I've been a Pro at procrastinating on this replacement purchase and it's time to part with some cash....looks like the Easton Mako guards and CP will get the nod this season. Hopefully we can keep the Wilson helmet together until after HS is over in the fall (I've already had to replace the straps on it once though).

I wish we had a DFP "go to guy"/dealer for this gear like we do for gloves and bats....well, at least we used to have Core ;-(

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I've seen a few college catchers with the new Wilson chest protector and they are swimming in it. It is not fitted properly at all. I thought Wilson's fastpitch gear was the absolute best on the market, I wonder what made them abandon it completely.

I want so badly to make a comment about that "W" company you mentioned and customer focus within the fastpitch world...but I won't....I won't do it....you can't make me. :)

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
We've got a mixed bag of pieces and parts so far. She's in love with the Wilson Shock helmet (Thanks for making sure I couldn't get a new one when this one wears out Wilson). She's in a Under Armor CP because it's pretty, it's in her team color, it was clearance for under $10, and it fits well. The leg guards will be replaced first I think. She just keeps growing. Any Feedback on the Mako stuff would be appreciated once you give it a good workout. We don't have a shop where we can try things out close by, so I do a lot reading to try to narrow things down.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Caught 3 games this past weekend in the new Easton Mako leg guards and she loved them. The knee cup pads in her old Schutt's had gotten crushed and pushed off to the side and were hurting her more than we realized. Of course she wasn't letting on but with the new Eastons she was dropping and blocking really well and no bruises afterwards. We haven't received the chest protector yet but we'll let you know the verdict, hopefully after next weekend.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
Well, it's time. What's a good replacement for the Wilson Shock FX 2? I guess we'll have to go to the big city and start trying out new helmets. Wilson is willing to give me "a like product" voucher, but they don't make softball catcher gear anymore, and if what I've read about the weight of the Pro Stock helmet is correct, DD is not going to be happy. It doesn't appear that the All-Star helmet is softball specific either, but it seems to be the most recommended. I guess I won't rant about the big "W" here, but I'm not happy about it.

Jul 4, 2013
After trying on several helmets last winter, my daughter chose a Boombah (and the rest of the gear). There was something about the placement and/or feel of the padding inside that she preferred. It's holding up well so far, not that I'd expect anything to fail in the first season.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I'm probably going to have to replace my catchers gear soon. I am using Under Armour Intermediate gear currently. I'm thinking about either using UA again or getting Easton catchers gear.

May 4, 2016
We are using the Wilson Pro Shock mask which she loves and have no idea what we will do when we have to replace it. Her chest and legs and Schutt. We just got the second pair of legs this weekend as she was out growing the first and Amazon had them for $27.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06