Catcher set-up for called pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 9, 2013
NE Ohio
Thank you all for some great advice, never thought it would take the turn it did,but very helpful, on the side topic letting up on hard throws to allow catches by infeilders for tags don't cut it,but playing with teamates with less talent does happen were ever you play.

Dec 7, 2011
"So are you suggesting that college coaches do not measure a girl on their teaming ability?"

Are you seriously suggesting that if a girl does not play down to another teammates ability on the team that she is not a good teammate? I do not believe any athlete should have to play down to make someone else look good and I do not believe it is good practice to attempt to "deceive" a college coach into believing a player is better than she is. If that player isn't good enough, she isn't good enough and I would think that the girl and the college coach would like to know that before the girl starts playing in college. I understand that showcasing is not about winning but it is about getting noticed and no player should have to jeopardize getting noticed by lessening her skills so that another girl can get noticed.

So you are saying - "Individual needs should trump team chemistry even if it means you are making the other player & rest of team look bad at your marginal & questionable benefit"..... You ever work at Enron? ;-)

Apr 1, 2010
I'd say don't set up like Tennessee's catcher, who was kneeling on her shinguard, missed the rise ball and had to go running after it. :) She certainly didn't telegraph the pitch, though!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
So you are saying - "Individual needs should trump team chemistry even if it means you are making the other player & rest of team look bad at your marginal & questionable benefit"..... You ever work at Enron? ;-)

Showcase tournaments aren't for the teams' benefit - they are for individual exposure, IMO. Although the players are trying to win (by doing their best), they know that the team's best interests often are put aside to give certain players PT in front of attending coaches. That said, you absolutely never do anything intentionally to make someone else look bad. But, unless someone is at the risk of getting hurt (i.e., I have seen situations where a coach has promised not to bunt/small ball and asked another team's coach to back up their corners for safety), a player should never have to play down in a showcase setting. Some team or individual is somewhere they really don't belong if the talent disparity is that large and that fault lies with the coach, IMO.

FWIW - I don't believe the objective of a showcase team is to build team chemistry and DD's chosen the teams she played for with that shortcoming in mind.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2012

I work for an attorney. Is that close? ;-)

I really had to laugh at this statement because I'm not sure how playing to the best of your ability is comparable to criminal greed.

Softball is about more than softball. It is about life lessons and preparing them to be productive citizens in the world. For example, my DD is in an advanced English class. In this class, she is taught advanced writing skills which she works hard at in order to maintain an A grade. She is also taught how to research topics, write a paper based on that research, and then present it to the class (public speaking skills). She is also in a history class that is a diversified academic group. The teacher assigned the class to work in groups (i.e., a "team"). Each member of the group had to research a topic and write a presentation on their researched topic. The group then had to do a group presentation which required them to present part of the project that was done as a group and then each individual group member presented their individual researched topic. My DD stood out from the other 3 kids in her group because of the skills she developed in her advanced English class. Should she have "dumbed" herself down to make the other kids look good? I don't think so. In fact, there was a parent in the audience who was looking for someone to do a presentation for something for the City and after this history presentation, inquired with my DD about doing it. Would this opportunity had presented itself had she "dumbed" herself down?

This is life. How do we get ahead in life? It is usually by hard work and standing out above others which is how we get hired for jobs, have a successful business above competitors, and get promotions.

Dec 7, 2011

I work for an attorney. Is that close? ;-)

I really had to laugh at this statement because I'm not sure how playing to the best of your ability is comparable to criminal greed.

Softball is about more than softball. It is about life lessons and preparing them to be productive citizens in the world. For example, my DD is in an advanced English class. In this class, she is taught advanced writing skills which she works hard at in order to maintain an A grade. She is also taught how to research topics, write a paper based on that research, and then present it to the class (public speaking skills). She is also in a history class that is a diversified academic group. The teacher assigned the class to work in groups (i.e., a "team"). Each member of the group had to research a topic and write a presentation on their researched topic. The group then had to do a group presentation which required them to present part of the project that was done as a group and then each individual group member presented their individual researched topic. My DD stood out from the other 3 kids in her group because of the skills she developed in her advanced English class. Should she have "dumbed" herself down to make the other kids look good? I don't think so. In fact, there was a parent in the audience who was looking for someone to do a presentation for something for the City and after this history presentation, inquired with my DD about doing it. Would this opportunity had presented itself had she "dumbed" herself down?

This is life. How do we get ahead in life? It is usually by hard work and standing out above others which is how we get hired for jobs, have a successful business above competitors, and get promotions.

There is a fine line between just standing out cuz yer better and leaving bodies in your wake. In the specific case I was referring to here was a catcher that might show a location earlier than later. Is this going to get noticed by a coach who is going to see sooooooo many other catcher characteristics & skills that mean soooooo much more than a late targeting? No way. Any coach worth anything can see a catcher that is skilled at catching - the basics - and can confidently know that once this superstar is at their school all they gotta do is say "we target later" and any catcher good enough to get a spot on a team will immediately just adopt that behavior. I thinks y'alls are not putting yourself into this specific situation that I was talking about.

Then I would argue yet "generally" that the tone I read in responses is sort of representative of what is one of the decaying parts of our culture. The mind set of "I worked hard at this and I deserve all the rewards and I don't care who gets hurt in the process" is a cancerous mindset. I am FULL ON BOARD with proper work ethic and be the best you can be. I am ALL AGAINST participation trophies and the like. BUT - in sports and in work and in families there is this thing called "team". If you are always looking for that next power move you can do while squashing others ya get the poor culture that we have.

Ah jeesh - Ya got me all mushy gushy preachy - I will stop.....

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Have heard several opinions on proper setup for a called riseball without tipping batter to thrown pitch.
It is interesting how threads can twist and turn... My dd caught a very good (Most of the time) riseball pitcher in high school. My dd is about 5'4" and her pitcher is closer to 6'. There were times when the pitcher didn't master her riseball and my dd needed a trampoline!

The set up is generally the same as other pitches. Most college coaches (That I have spoke with) will teach that the catcher gives the sign, set a target briefly centered on the plate and then drop the glove ("Relax" the glove that is) and pause until the pitcher begins her windup. Then catcher moves to line up with target location. Ideally glove will be set on edges of strike zone.. in or out, up or down. Catcher adjusts stance depending on whether there are base runners. The batter will not be able to observe the catcher moving since they must watch the pitcher who has started her pitch. Alternately no target is set and the catcher pauses until windup. The general consensus is that a catcher should be lifting their glove to the pitch to best show blue the strike....

Younger pitchers tend to need a target set to throw to. It's a good idea for a catcher to spend some time with the pitcher at her pitching lesson. Her pitching coach can reinforce how, when and where her catcher sets up a target. Catchers should catch their pitchers at lessons whenever practical. It's the best way to learn how to anticipate pitches and how to react to them.

We work with our catchers to give the sign, either set a centered target or give no target (based on pitcher's comfort level) and pause until the pitcher begins windup. Here is one of our catchers demonstrating this technique

Catchers should be ready to leap to the top of the backstop when calling the riser....

How old is your catcher? -Chaz

Sep 9, 2013
NE Ohio
It is interesting how threads can twist and turn... My dd caught a very good (Most of the time) riseball pitcher in high school. My dd is about 5'4" and her pitcher is closer to 6'. There were times when the pitcher didn't master her riseball and my dd needed a trampoline!

The set up is generally the same as other pitches. Most college coaches (That I have spoke with) will teach that the catcher gives the sign, set a target briefly centered on the plate and then drop the glove ("Relax" the glove that is) and pause until the pitcher begins her windup. Then catcher moves to line up with target location. Ideally glove will be set on edges of strike zone.. in or out, up or down. Catcher adjusts stance depending on whether there are base runners. The batter will not be able to observe the catcher moving since they must watch the pitcher who has started her pitch. Alternately no target is set and the catcher pauses until windup. The general consensus is that a catcher should be lifting their glove to the pitch to best show blue the strike....

Younger pitchers tend to need a target set to throw to. It's a good idea for a catcher to spend some time with the pitcher at her pitching lesson. Her pitching coach can reinforce how, when and where her catcher sets up a target. Catchers should catch their pitchers at lessons whenever practical. It's the best way to learn how to anticipate pitches and how to react to them.

We work with our catchers to give the sign, either set a centered target or give no target (based on pitcher's comfort level) and pause until the pitcher begins windup. Here is one of our catchers demonstrating this technique

Catchers should be ready to leap to the top of the backstop when calling the riser....

How old is your catcher? -Chaz
Chaz,She's just turned 14 ,playing on a 2nd year 14 team, assistant coach asking her to set up higher than normal for rise ,kinda knew id hear what I did about keeping things close to normal, allways looking to refine her game.Guess I gotta get her to work on her vertical leap from setup lol

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Chaz,She's just turned 14 ,playing on a 2nd year 14 team, assistant coach asking her to set up higher than normal for rise ,kinda knew id hear what I did about keeping things close to normal, allways looking to refine her game.Guess I gotta get her to work on her vertical leap from setup lol

Maybe explain that if she sets up higher, it will be a ball every time (unless swung at) because the umpire won't be able to see the plate. Frankly, if the mastery of a pitch is that poor, it shouldn't be in the game mix.

Dec 19, 2012
Shes_all_that+, if you go to the 1:24 mark of the YouTube link at the bottom of my signature, you will see how my dd tries to stay low on a riseball so the ump can see. She stays low as long as she possibly can. She does get into a secondary position because runners are on base, but maintains a low position.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1