Catcher Quarterback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2015
My daughter is the primary catcher for a Midwest 13U team. Today we were discussing the best way to communicate certain defensive moves pitch out/pick off plays or a throw down/ cut-off play with runners on the corners, ect. I was wondering what everyone else has either seen, or done that they like best. Number sequencing, certain key words, hand signals are ones that I have seen used. Just curious what you guys like. Thanks in advance.

Jun 11, 2013
We always just go simple.

for 1st and 3rd plays 1 means fire to P, 2 throw throw through, 3 throw to 3rd to pick off runner,etc.

We would do a 3 digit code where only 1 number meant anything. If the second number meant what we were doing

423 would meant throw through so would 921,etc.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
If DD sees a lazy base runner on 1st or 3rd she usually casually calls out her 1st or 3rd basemans name to give them a heads up that she is firing it down the line the next pitch. "Let's go Jenny" or something like that. DD is always talking to her teammates and usually base coaches don't know the defensive players by name. She usually manages to pick off a player or two. I like it because sometimes her coach will hear it and either let the play unfold or if the pitcher is ahead on the count with a weaker batter they will call out to DD, "Let's focus on the batter" or something to that respect.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06