Catcher Gear Recommendation/Reviews?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
The Schutt legs had an issue with twisting during normal action on the field. This has not been an issue with the All-Star legs. The All-Star legs are surprisingly light for the amount of plastic they have. DD really likes the Wilson helmet, but I wish it had the removable pads of the All-Star helmet.

When it's time for new legs, we will be taking a very close look at the Wilson ProMotion.
DD uses the Schutt CP and leg guards. Similar to Eric's daughter's experience the leg guards seem to twist out of position way too often regardless of what we've tried. Any suggestions on reducing this would be appreciated but most likely we'll be looking for a replacement set. My DD also really likes the Wilson helmet.

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
DD uses the Schutt CP and leg guards. Similar to Eric's daughter's experience the leg guards seem to twist out of position way too often regardless of what we've tried. Any suggestions on reducing this would be appreciated but most likely we'll be looking for a replacement set. My DD also really likes the Wilson helmet.

You might try switching out the calf straps with the All Star Deltaflex straps if the Schutts have the rings to do so.

lgrs_pro__35862.jpg

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
My DD uses the All Star System 7 Helmet. By far the best helmet she's worn according to her. She uses the ProMotion Chest and legs and wouldn't let me get anything different when I got her replacement legs last month.

Feb 5, 2013
She uses the ProMotion Chest and legs and wouldn't let me get anything different when I got her replacement legs last month.

DD was the same way. LOVES the Wilson chest and legs the second she tried them on. My DD uses the Easton Mako helmet.

Mar 29, 2015
thanks for all this conversation. It's really rich, and I was surprised by how many folks do the mismatched thing. I hadn't really considered that.
I ended up finding a Louisville level 5 set on clearance that will fill the gap as we start the season for the team. I do wonder, though, at what point is it reasonable to expect a girl to provide her own gear that matches her preferences?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
In TB, just about the same time she becomes a catcher. Rec varies but usually if the player becomes a full time starter for the team, my experience has been no later than second year 12U. By then, they're starting to look towards becoming serious about the position for either TB, HS or both.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
thanks for all this conversation. It's really rich, and I was surprised by how many folks do the mismatched thing. I hadn't really considered that.
I ended up finding a Louisville level 5 set on clearance that will fill the gap as we start the season for the team. I do wonder, though, at what point is it reasonable to expect a girl to provide her own gear that matches her preferences?

My DD has had her own gear since she made the commitment to wanting making it her primary position, made the dedication to the work necessary to improving her game, and earned the spot as a starter - fall ball, first year 10U rec. That said, I still see a lot of 12U rec players using team gear.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619