Catcher Gear Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
My daughter's high school team didn't have a catcher, so she moving from shortstop to catcher.

She needs a full set of gear, so could someone suggest a quality but affordable set of gear. I'm pretty sure this is a 1 year move, but she may also do some catching during her travel season, so I'd prefer not to pay an arm and a leg for it.

The team purchased a glove, so we would need:
Helmet
Chest Protector
Shin Guards
Knee Savers
Throat Protector
(am I forgetting anything?)

She is 15 years old, 5'7'' and about 140 pounds. Can I get a suggestion of sizes too?

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Do you happen to have a Play It Again Sports store near by? Might be a good chance to have her try something on for fit. I would avoid (especially if used) velcro. It always seems to get junk in the teeth and lose its grip early on.

My catcher uses a baseball chest protector; the Rawlings 950. Probably the best protection you can get. The shins in this series are comfortable, but the metatarsals fall apart. If you get a good hockey style mask, I don't recommend a throat protector (unless required by your local sanction).

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
My daughter's high school team didn't have a catcher, so she moving from shortstop to catcher.

She needs a full set of gear, so could someone suggest a quality but affordable set of gear. I'm pretty sure this is a 1 year move, but she may also do some catching during her travel season, so I'd prefer not to pay an arm and a leg for it.

The team purchased a glove, so we would need:
Helmet
Chest Protector
Shin Guards
Knee Savers
Throat Protector
(am I forgetting anything?)

She is 15 years old, 5'7'' and about 140 pounds. Can I get a suggestion of sizes too?

Forget the knee savers. Forget the throat protector (unless HS or the TB alphabet orgs require one). Don't skimp on the helmet if you value what's inside your DD's head.

I'd look at All-Star, Schutt or Mizuno

All-Star Sporting Goods | #MFRA | CKW1-S7 or Schutt

moe

Aug 14, 2013
Schutt. Daughter loves it. Well ventilated. Scorpion model. Complete set less than 200.

Feb 12, 2014
Don't feel you have to get a matching set. We have always mixed and matched for DD. I highly recommend the Wilson Shock FX fastpitch helmet. It's no longer being made but you can find them at Baseball Monkey or other websites.

May 6, 2015
I would avoid (especially if used) velcro. It always seems to get junk in the teeth and lose its grip early on.

Agree with this, bought wilson EZ gear, velcro leg guards, even brand new, top straps for above the knee portion would not stay on.

Jul 9, 2012
Does the school require the football players to buy their own helmets/pads/etc.? Not trying to be a dick...but I can't see why the school can't provide this equipment. Now...if your daughter wants her own set, so she can practice outside of school time, and like you said, maybe a little during summer ball....I can see buying her a set. My daughter has owned a Schutt set for a couple years now and loves it.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Does the school require the football players to buy their own helmets/pads/etc.? Not trying to be a dick...but I can't see why the school can't provide this equipment. Now...if your daughter wants her own set, so she can practice outside of school time, and like you said, maybe a little during summer ball....I can see buying her a set. My daughter has owned a Schutt set for a couple years now and loves it.

That was kind of my take on it too. Having been the varsity coach of both sports back before I had kids, we never required the players to provide anything but shoes and a glove. Most of the high school catchers play travel ball and have their own gear, so the current high school coaches don't use their budget to buy the gear. There is school gear but it's old and well worn to say the least. The coach suggested that my daughter buy her own. He's a first year JV coach and most likely isn't going to make waves by asking for equipment money.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
We are trying to fund raise in order to buy some catcher's gear for HS team. The helmet they provide is way too small and the rest of the gear is starter's gear. All Star gear all the way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06